06 Fusion Engine Seized

mjkaliszak

Not much you can do without tearing down. Run the thing real soon see what happens. If it blows now the dealer can't just shine you on he had his hands in there. Maybe spilt parts & labor bill with you but has to blow real soon or no leg to stand on.

Well , I'm thinking that you burned down a little on both sides or just 1. Just enough so it heats up galled the cylinders & burned a pistoon by the exhaust ports. It will start, run, heat up run rough, seize, then when cooled down fire back up again until it gets hot. This would be a slight burn down that is easily repairable NOW while the damage is not catastrophic. Like said by WD, must be tore down. Just IMO. Hope that makes sense, I have a wacker that is like this , put a little PB in there, run fine until I go WFO , then needs to cool down again. I'm too lazy to fix it so I jusdt nurse it.

Last edited:

docs_88

Thanks again for the input. I'll let you know what we find. At this point I am at the mercy of the dealer so hopefully they will be straight with me. I have bought 2 sleds and a fourwheeler from them but who knows if they remember. Maybe I'll look for something used to trade it off on (600 IQ Dragon) This is the first time I have ever had an engine related issue with one of my polaris's.

Hoosier

Make sure they did both carb boots. One of those is what did in my Fusion. The worst part of it is they have an updated carb boot to replace the one they know is bad.

fredster

How long did you let it run before riding it the 3/4 mile? Was it warmed up good, etc, before you rode, and did it act normal up until that point? Usually the first start up in the fall, you get heavy smoke while the fogging oil burns off, was that the case? Just wondering if you noticed anything out of the ordinary beforehand.

The Polaris service books are pretty specific about bleeding any air out of the oil lines when servicing the carbs. I wonder if air got in the lines and/or one of the lines wasn't hooked up completely. Sure sounds like a complete lack of lubrication, you would need one heck of a lean condition to lock up the sled at 50MPH due to a lean mixture.

docs_88

I let it run for a few minutes before I took off for my ride as I always do. The sled has always run a little on the rich side which is why I was so surprised when this happened. I had had it running and took it around the backyard a few times before I brought it into the dealer the first time so that original start up had already happened before the carbs were serviced.

G

G

How long did you let it run before riding it the 3/4 mile? Was it warmed up good, etc, before you rode, and did it act normal up until that point? Usually the first start up in the fall, you get heavy smoke while the fogging oil burns off, was that the case? Just wondering if you noticed anything out of the ordinary beforehand.

The Polaris service books are pretty specific about bleeding any air out of the oil lines when servicing the carbs. I wonder if air got in the lines and/or one of the lines wasn't hooked up completely. Sure sounds like a complete lack of lubrication, you would need one heck of a lean condition to lock up the sled at 50MPH due to a lean mixture.

It is possible to have a lean burndown at lower or midrange speeds. In fact this used to happen a lot on 80's vintage Pol triples. Different jets feed different sections of throttle. Some of these are really tiny and if they get restricted just a little you will burn. Most of us are familier with the wide open burn down but it can happen at just about any speed. I once had a new mid 80's Pol that burned a piston while idling on a stand at the Pol dealership. That one was really a problem child.