'06 MXZ Adrenalin SDI Chaincase Oil Drain Plug

tommyboy

Tried to drain the oil, but think I stripped the allen nut.

Guessing I'm not the first to do this. Any chance this can be drilled out? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Tom

old abe

Tried to drain the oil, but think I stripped the allen nut.

Guessing I'm not the first to do this. Any chance this can be drilled out? Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Tom

What did you strip, the inside hex, or the threads in the case?

old abe

The inside hex. It won't budge.

There is a inside/out extraction tool that will possibly help you to get the plug out. I am not sure of the proper name of it. You must have used the wrong size allen wrench, or went the wrong direction? Perhaps try Doo talk, someone there has probably encountered this same problem. If you drill, be careful that you know what you are doing!

tommyboy

Direction wasn't the problem, think it was the wrong size or pattern bit. Doubt I'd try drilling it out, Nielsen's is right up the road. Guess I'll have to pay the piper if I can't find some kind extraction tool.

Thanks Abe, appreciate the insight.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point, Mike. That would probably be easier and cheaper than a visit to the dealer. I'll have a look and see how complicated that would be.

Appreciate the input.

goofy600

you take the cover off you can clean every thing , I have never used a drain plug
X2 on take the cover off so you can clean. It shouldn’t be that hard just have to get the muffler out first if I remember and have a little bigger drain pan because the oil will run a little bit.

russholio

I had this happen, but I don't remember what I did. I remember not having much luck with extraction tools. I think I may have removed the cover, ground a slot in the plug, and backed it out with a screwdriver. At any rate, removing the cover will make it easier to work on.

tommyboy

Thank you all for the input. Guess I'll get a new gasket and remove the cover. Probably a good idea to clean out the chamber seeing as I've never done it before and I bought it new.

One of the great things about johndee.com, this isn't the first time I've gotten help from the community. It's much appreciated.

Tom