08 Polaris Dragon 700 RPM Problem

snowshark94

I have a problem with my 08 700 daragon that it only hits 7000 rpm now when it should hit 8250 RPM. I was racing down the trail at about 95 for about 5 miles and at the end of the run it would only max at 7000 RPM and will only hit 72MPH. I then changed the plugs (1 dark brown, 1 light Brown) and put a brand new polaris belt on it and I had the same result. The sled starts fine, seems normal idling, it has no bogging, I cleaned the exhaust valves 400 miles ago, it basically runs like a 500. I have a Goodwin performance clutch kit on the primary and secondary that has been on the sled since I bought it new. I rode it for an additional 150 miles, took plugs out and they look fine.
I have never cleaned either of the clutches, Is something maybe sticking, so will that cause it not to hit its full RPM? Does anyone else have this problem? Can it be a dirty clutch?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:

snoeatr

I agree on the exhaust bellow. Usually if there's a hole in it a little oil that comes out the end of the plastic cover. The springs break too sometimes. If not an exhaust valve then likely clutch issue.

snowshark94

After taking the exhaust valves off and apart I noticed one of the little springs was broken. The broken spring is on the side with the light brown plug, so that should explain the different color and would explain why the RPM could not get to 8250. I ordered new springs and once replaced hopefully it will be back to normal for next season.

Thanks guys,
Mike