09 800 Rengade out west

sms

I know everyone has different opinions but Im going to the snowies in march and wondering what I really need to do to get my sled to run right. It is a 09 800 renegade with a 1.75 track and geared down to 23t. It has DPM so no need to re jet. Maybe just clutching changes? Thanks

hoffmansledder

We were in the snowies a few weeks ago. I have the same sled in an e-tek and a another guy that went had the exact same sled you have. put your clickers in you r clutch to setting #6 and you will be fine. We were set on #2 for flat land when we got there and could only get about 7400 RPM's. Setting #6 got us up to 8200 RPM's. That is the only thing we did and it took about 10 min per sled to change.

blutooth

The clickers are great to get to max RPM, but you aren't always getting the best, consistent horsepower. I just looked your sled up, and Doo recommends lighter clutch weights and clicker setting 5.

http://media.50below.com//organizations/d2fd3287-ba17-4db0-a1d7-6323396a1288/mbs2009-001_en_REV3.pdf

Page 26 for your sled. Remember the snowies are about as high as it gets sledding so you are a big difference away from where you currently are riding.

We are heading out there next week - can't wait! It would be a shame to head all the way out there and have a sled that is working fine, but not performing at its most capable level. Remember, you loose 3% HP for every 1000 ft in elevation. that is almost 30% reduction in HP when you are out there in conditions that put more load on the sled.

I strongly recommmend at least getting the weights if not a full setup from someone lik Dynamo^Joe on Dootalk.

Good luck and enjoy it!

fgsacts

Anyone else had jetting issues out there? I had an '03 Renegade with DPM a few years back and was fouling plugs like crazy in Colorado. The Doo manual says to rejet over 8000'. Opinions?

sms

Thanks for all the great opinions. So, from what I understand if I leave it stock, it's not going to hurt the engine but if I make some clutch adjustments it's going to make it perform better. Is that a correct assumption?

blutooth

Anyone else had jetting issues out there? I had an '03 Renegade with DPM a few years back and was fouling plugs like crazy in Colorado. The Doo manual says to rejet over 8000'. Opinions?

Probably the first go around with DPM. The DPM is like the Attac system in that it is only good for a range. When I had my IQr, I had the attac system on it and it only calibrated for up to 6000 feet of elevation difference, so i had to jet for 4,000 ft standard and go from there. Maybe back in 03 the DPM wasn't as sophisticated as it is now? Gigz had his '06 800 out at the snowies 2 years ago and everything ran perfect with no changes in the jets.

My 09 calls for the same plugs across the board up to 10k.

There are 6 clicker settings, but #6 is not one you want to run in. At setting 5 and 6 you can start to see increased belt slippage due to the pressure being too low... You will get the RPM's but the may be erratic or lower acceleration. the pins you need are around $60 for the set, but yo can probably find a fully adjustable used set on Dootalk for around $30. I think you should be shooting for around 12g of weight...

Last edited:

derekfap

Last year I tried riding at West Yellowstone on my 06 and 09 Renegade 800's without changing weights and found the rpms would only get up to around 7300 while climbing. Had to go to the dealer and put smaller weights in both, and a different spring in the 06.
If you're staying on the trails you'll be fine for sure, but if you need the power to climb you'll be lacking a bunch.