1.75 in lugs for the trails???

SLEDNECK#1

Hi guys i was wondering if i could hear some input on running a 1.75 in lug on the trail. i ride about half on trail and half off trail and was wondering if i would experience any problems with the lug size. it would go on a CFR 800 128x15x1.5... Any reply is appreciated
Thanks, Nick

doospunk

Works fine. I've had a 1.75, 16 wide on a 136 Renny for the past 3 years. No big difference. Throws up a bit more ice out the back than the stock 1.25 did, but that's about it. You really don't need much more for off trail in the yoop. I typically run my summit up there, but pulled out the renny last year when the summit went down, and it reminded me how fun it was to play off trail with.

Noodles

How is the renny compared to the Summit?I dont like the coupled skid on my Gade,but also running the 1.25 ripsaw.The track is great on trail and gets the job done off,but the front end still too heavy.The 1.75 paddle help a lot?

misty_pines

I also run a 1.75" x 16" x 137" on my Renegade. It worked real well on the trails this past winter and the hyfax held up just fine. As long you aren't running on bare ice, the 1.75" lug does real well. Also, off trail, it is a lot better than the 1.25" lug.

doospunk

How is the renny compared to the Summit?I dont like the coupled skid on my Gade,but also running the 1.25 ripsaw.The track is great on trail and gets the job done off,but the front end still too heavy.The 1.75 paddle help a lot?

To be honest, I like both sleds for different reasons. Yes, the 1.75 was a big difference from the stock 1.25 in terms of being able to play in the trees and hills with confidence, and not get stuck as much.

whitedust

How many miles on cold dry hardpack trails? Not good for that or ditch banging on & off roads to get to the trails. Very good off trail use but you will always have compromise on & off trail so be honest with yourself about % use.

doospunk

I've actually used my 1.75 for nearly 4 years in deep, trails, and ditch riding around home where snow is always marginal. I've put on over 3k miles, and have never had an issue.

whitedust

I've actually used my 1.75 for nearly 4 years in deep, trails, and ditch riding around home where snow is always marginal. I've put on over 3k miles, and have never had an issue.

Don't know how many sets of hyfax that would be but in 4 years only 750 miles riding a year is not enough miles for me to be useful to judge 1.75 as a good trail track. Now if your were riding 3k trail miles a year that would indicate 1.75 is fine for trails. 1.75 is working well for you but your trail mileage is very limited IMO.:)

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
The poster said he rides half on and half off. So, lets say he puts on 1500 miles a year, so 750 each. 750 miles of trails a year with a 1.75", not an issue imo. MAKE SURE AND USE SCRATCHERS though.

I have about 7200 miles on my 07 RMK 2.4"x155", easily half of those miles were on trails. I am on my second set of hyfax, and before last winter I put a new/used track on.

That is my brother's M8, a little over 4,000 miles, lots of trail riding, he has his second set of hyfax on, and original track yet. 153"x2.25"

I say run it. :)

Feb 11th at home 001 (Medium).jpg

cooksend

Just understand that you will make a bit of a sacrifice on trail handling and that you will need to use common sense when it comes to snow conditions! A bit of self control on the track spin scenario helps in marginal snow too.

whitedust

Agree scratchers with 1.75 will work fine for 750 miles a year trail use......... not so much without scratchers on hard pack. UP trail snow conditions whole different ball game from northern WI twisty snirt trails. 1.75 on snirt without or without scratchers would concern me. I hate snirt messes up bearings, hyfax, & suspension paint job!!! lol

I rode five years with a 2" paddle on the crossfire I had with no issues. I ride about 1600 miles a season and 80% is trail riding, but I also use ice scratchers if the trails are really hard. Got a new renegade backcountry this year with the 1.75 and I expect to have no issues with this one either.

doospunk

Don't know how many sets of hyfax that would be but in 4 years only 750 miles riding a year is not enough miles for me to be useful to judge 1.75 as a good trail track. Now if your were riding 3k trail miles a year that would indicate 1.75 is fine for trails. 1.75 is working well for you but your trail mileage is very limited IMO.:)

Hats off to whomever rides 3000 miles per year. .5 inch (in myopinion/experience) isn't enough to make one burn through hyfax annualy. My renny is still on the original's I put on when I swapped to 1.75, and still look excellent. The hyfax is really not the big issue with 1.75 on trail, (unless your running harpack that's like concrete constantly. If that's the case, then your going to burn down your hyfax just as easy on a 1 or 1.25) The bigger issue is the possibility of bending your lugs with to much spinning as cooksend states.

Last edited:

cooksend

I had 3 seasons and around 5,000 miles on my Crossfire with a 2" paddle. Ridden in Eagle River area as well as beating the bush in the U.P. Replaced hyfax once and had no scratchers. I did however trash the track. I also put over 2,000 miles on my 2009 RMK Assault with around 800 trail miles in Eagle River and never replaced the Hyfax. Some was on nasty snow condition! Just gotta pound the snow on the side, stop in the deepers stuff on the sides when at stop signs and use common sense!
No doubt the smaller lug is a better trail track. Just depends on where you wanna make your sacrifice!

Firecatguy

last trail sled was an 06 f6sp with 1.75 track very little off trail....3000miles a season on trails loved that sled worked great "I rode it like I stole it" one set hyfax year 2 but the stock kitty hyfax seem to hold up better than replacements do......as for ditch bangin and trail riding I never put thought into conditions like I do today back then just rode it WFO all day.....before that was 03 f5sp with same track never an issue and I never used that sled off the trail......I went from studded sleds to the 03f5 with said track on it and will never look back studds "no thanks" 1.75 you betch ya........kinda like going from Carb to efi....never looked back....

huttes99

I just sold my 08 nytro with 1.25 121" I am looking at buying a 2012 Renegade Backcountry 800etec. Most of my miles are on St. Germain to Mercer to Hurley trails. Planning om some UP off trail hopefully this year. My question is with ice scratchers will the sled cool ok on trails and hi fax wear. How will the sled handle on trails with the 1.75 track. Thanks hopefully didn't hijack thread.

Skylar

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just sold my 08 nytro with 1.25 121" I am looking at buying a 2012 Renegade Backcountry 800etec. Most of my miles are on St. Germain to Mercer to Hurley trails. Planning om some UP off trail hopefully this year. My question is with ice scratchers will the sled cool ok on trails and hi fax wear. How will the sled handle on trails with the 1.75 track. Thanks hopefully didn't hijack thread.

I have run my sled on a real hard freshly groomed trail, about 5 degrees that morning, and I rode with out the scratchers down. Within a mile my water temp climbed from the normal 128-130, to 160. I stopped, dropped the scratchers, and within 2 miles, the temps were back down to normal. The scratchers do what they are intended to do for sure. I use the spring steel type, I had the slidekicks design, reverse compatible, but I feel the spring steel ones do a better job. That was just my expierence though.

whitedust

From this thread sounds like 1.25 going the way of the 1" in favor of 1.5 or 1.75 larger lugs. Don't know what that means to groomed trail conditions but time will tell. Scratchers next big thing & are a good idea for hard pack & maybe the way I need to go since I don't ride on ice & extreme hardpack just wait for a little fresh snow. If 1.5 or 1.75 larger track better for all around multi use I'll change.:)

huttes99

What about ski stance? Does it make a big difference on the trails. I notice the MXZ TNT has a stance 42.4 and the backcountry of 40.1? I love the looks of the renegade backcountry but have only rode 121's with ripsaw tracks.

polarisrider1

What about ski stance? Does it make a big difference on the trails. I notice the MXZ TNT has a stance 42.4 and the backcountry of 40.1? I love the looks of the renegade backcountry but have only rode 121's with ripsaw tracks.
Sounds like a new topic.

I ride around on a 2.4" track and all is well. had a 144x2" on switchback and 151x2" on RMK just run with scratchers. There are a new pair in the parts section for $35 delivered.

Last edited: