10th Annual Copper Harbor Run-for-Fun Vintage Ride....Excellent Once Again!

skiroule

Attended the Copper Harbor Run-for-Fun vintage sledding event again this year. As good as it was last year, I think this year was even better.

Of all the things that make up this event, my favorite by far is the Iron Man ride. This year the route took us from Copper Harbor to Eagle Harbor and back using a mix of groomed trail and un-groomed logging roads, which made for about a 50 mile run. Even with a starting temp of -15, a little over 50 vintage sleds made the run. Only one sled had to be hauled back by the “sled medic” (broken drive chain) and it was back in operation the next day.

Got my second Iron Man sticker for the TX dash and the sled ran really well (they do like the cold weather). Both of us hope to be back next year.

With the Run for Fun ride on Saturday, there is really too much to cram into a single video so I’ve split off the Iron Man portion. This is more of a “rider oriented” video. Hopefully it captures the experience somewhat.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add, play it using 720pHD. Way better video quality

jr37

Great video, Kelly. Thanks for sharing your fun with us.

The old Polaris looks like a lot of fun to ride.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't see a Scorpion along for the ride.:rolleyes:

Enjoy the rest of the little winter we have left.

jd

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome! I especially loved the carving segment towards the end!

-John

garyl62

Take a look at these guys...

WOW...Total disrespect for the sport. The nice bright white Yamaha suit is cute though.

What a bunch of Gomers.... They sure crash into each other and fall off alot. Wonder if Daddy and Mommy pay for their sleds and repairs... Hope they stay out on the lakes and off of the trails.

Just youngens having fun. Sure they were a little tuff on the trails and run over that pine tree, total disrespect, i dont know.

Just couldn't help but think of all the comments in a different thread in the Misc section when I was watching the video, guys passing at speed on the trails, riding on both sides, running down brush when carving and all sorts of other things going on. Looks like a great time! Hope I get to be part of it next year :)

D

Deleted member 10829

That looks like just a ton of fun! It looks like a 1974 TX behind you at 0:28 and about 1:18. That was my family's first sled when I was young. Nice powder at the end and it looks like a Poo rolled over pretty easy back then! :)

kirk600

Now thats something i need to do next year. Thanks for sharing the video Kelly. The "ultimate Polaris" sounds good!

skiroule

It definitely is a good time and it gives me another chance to hear that TX motor wind up. We’ve had pretty brutal weather the last couple of years but that’s part of what makes the Iron Man a challenge.

The 74 TX was kind of a sleeper. It had an oil injected, liquid cooled 440 from an Indy stuffed under the hood. Owner is a great kid. Think he is about 15 and he does all his own wrenching. His whole family rides vintage sleds. His dad has the Super Voyageur in the video.

I did discover that the TX was pretty fun to carve. It’s surprisingly "flickable".

I do know a guy that brought his Scorpion again this year (he was in the video last year) but it wouldn’t fire – no spark. He vows that it will be back next year. There was a nice TK in the show but I didn’t see it on any of the rides.

Good one Gary….Hope you can make it next year. I like the way you think.

bigvin

Very Nice Kelly!
Thanks for sharing that! :)
I sure missed being there,...haven't missed too many.
Another cccccoooollllld one again!!!
picked up a 71 charger this year,... maybe THAT will see its
way up there??? hmmmm? :)
Always a good time!
I'm thinking a Mustang or Voyager would be more suited for
"MY ARSE"!! LOL!

Thanks for sharing bro!

~Vin

doofan1

That brings back some memories. Although my old stuff from years ago never ran that long at one time without something breaking

Looks like you had an awesome time. Thanks for sharing the video