1200 ski doo motor good and bad impressions

wirev

Love mine. No issues but mpg just barely better than etec. I was expecting to be much better, but then again I'm on and off the throttle all the time. Would like to shave the 40+ pounds off like the etec but it would cost a fortune.

whitedust

Nothing bad I know about but better with edrive than tra clutch..... engine wise I don't know of any doo 1200 engine failures. Seemed stuck at 15mpg for me same as Yamaha 4 cylinder. 15 mpg not a bad thing but thought 135 HP vs 162 hp Yamaha the doo would do better. Maybe others are getting better 1200 mpg but we are getting on it too no putt putt. 1200 good trail sled but I would get 137 version for hookup....probably Renegade would be best for me.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
3,000 miles on mine with no issues, none. Just gas and go, change the oil and filter in the spring and put her to bed for the summer. I have the short track TNT so it comes in at just under 500 lbs. Mileage is as stated above 13 to 15 per gallon depending on how you're riding. Lots of torque and very quiet.

wirev

Should have added I have a 11 GadeX with US Flag wrap. Torque is unbelievable. Will be on display at the Derby in Eagle River Jan 16-19. Look me up as I am the Track Chaplain this year.
The Rev

whitedust

Should have added I have a 11 GadeX with US Flag wrap. Torque is unbelievable. Will be on display at the Derby in Eagle River Jan 16-19. Look me up as I am the Track Chaplain this year.
The Rev

Rev...Sounds cool can you post a picture?

russholio

In my two seasons of experience with the 1200 I would concur with everything written in previous posts. I can't think of anything to add. I've been following the 1200 forum on DooTalk since I got mine and there have been few, if any posts about major engine issues.

polaris62

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to hear better numbers for mileage but 14 to 15 wouldn't be horrible as I now get 11 to 12. Been riding a Polaris and on a trip when it let me down rented a renegade and loved how it handled and the ride enough that I decided my next sled would be a ski doo. I've done a lot of reading and the e tec seems to be a good motor but just done with two strokes. I'm a trail rider so the extra weight means nothing as I don't plan on carrying my sled just looking for reliability. Thanks again

russholio

Keep in mind that while fuel economy isn't stellar, you don't have to feed it 2s oil (obviously true of any 4s). Even if you change the oil once a year (and you may not have to if you don't put on a lot of miles) a gallon of Mobil 1 0-40 can be had at Wally World for about $25 (and another bonus: oil changes are pretty easy). If you're strictly a trail guy (as I am), not looking to have the fastest sled, then I don't think you'd be disappointed

ezra

u are dropping 13k or more on a toy and worried about a extra 100 bucks a yr in fuel ? never got the MPG thing unless U are riding 10k mi a yr.

wirev

Whitedust-----would love too but don't know how to post pictures. I'm too old for all this tech stuff. I'm lucky just to be on this forum lol.

polaris62

Thanks again and no really don't care as much about the cost of the sled fuel as much as was looking to increase range between stops. Really like doing saddle bag trips and anymore the fuel situation can get a little sketchy anymore so just hoping for a few more miles per tank. And the bonus of never having to add oil at the end of every day is definitely a bonus.

groomerdriver

15-16 is what a friend gets on his 1200 but he's pretty easy on the throttle. 900 ACE motor sips fuel (20+ MPG as I have observed) but it "only" has 500+cc 2S performance. I think Doo makes a fuel carrier for the back of their various sleds.

Hoosier

u are dropping 13k or more on a toy and worried about a extra 100 bucks a yr in fuel ? never got the MPG thing unless U are riding 10k mi a yr.

I think it's more about the longevity than the gas mileage. If you do 2,000 - 3,000 miles a year, you can probably keep the sled a couple more years. Plus if saddlebagging you don't have to deal with carrying or finding oil...

If I was a Doo guy though - doesn't the 600 etec basically do the same thing as the 1200 but much lighter? Same gas mileage, very little oil usage (2 gallons a season for most) and you don't hear stories of them blowing up with low miles. Power is good for most if you aren't at elevation.

longtrack

When you take off on a 1200 you will notice the torque it has is unbelievable. The low vibration is also one of the big plus's with a 1200. I have been getting around 13 with my new Grand Touring this year. We ride a lot of FSR's and I am always plowing thru the powder so that is why my mileage is always a little low. I would be very surprised if I would ever get 15. I own 3 1200's now and I would never go back to a 2 stroke unless I wanted to off Trail out west and I am getting two old for that. If I want to do it I would rent one or use my Kids 800 Summit. I wanted to buy my Wife a 900 but she said no way " I am not driving that Dog" so it was another 1200. She usually gets 14-15 MPG on her GSX SE. A 120 will get 1-2 miles per Gallon better than a 137.

The final cost of running it is about the same as a 600 Etek usually the Etek will get a little better mileage unless your running over half throttle.

When opened up my old 600 Sleds I always wondered if they were going to Blow up. Now I just wait for the Belt to go and don't worry about the Motor.

polaris62

Thanks for your responses I pick up my new 1200 renegade today. We leave next Thursday for Munising can't wait to ride it.

miked

Thanks for your responses I pick up my new 1200 renegade today. We leave next Thursday for Munising can't wait to ride it.

You will LOVE it! I'm on my second 1200 now. 7200 on the clock on my 2010 TnT, just bought a Renegade last spring. You have found the Holy Grail of reliable sleds, congrats!

momoney2123

If you do get one and like power and performance. Look into pb80 primary and a header. They run very well and will beat alot of 800s with these mods. The stock edrive is not good for performance.