1906 film clip

booondocker

Super cool....way of life gone...and forgotten.

Any idea where that was located?

Didn't look like hard surface or brick.

Extremely wide street....

attack_06

that street and some buildings still xsist somewhere whata the tall tower building at end of street any guesses

polarisrider1

What does it say on the side of the street car? Why all the people in the road? everyone going all directions. 1 car even going against traffic. Lets get FrNash on this one. I got it narrowed down to somewhere between New York and San Francisco.

frnash

Possibly market street San Francisco before the earth quake?
Seems like I've seen this before. I think you've got it.
It's heading northeast on Market street, and the "tall tower building at end of street" is the Ferry Building. Compare to the picture of the Ferry Building in 1906, after the earthquake.

(No I wasn't there then (before the 1906 earthquake) … just from April 1965 to September 1968, at 6th Army Headquarters, at the Presidio. :))
What does it say on the side of the street car?.
No help there, it just says "Sightseeing Car".

Last edited:

einne

The clock tower at the end of Market Street at the Embarcadero wharf

This film, originally thought to be from 1905 until David Kiehn with the Niles Essanay Silent Film Museum figured
out exactly when it was shot. From New York trade papers announcing the film showing to the wet streets from
recent heavy rainfall & shadows indicating time of year & actual weather and conditions on historical record, even
when the cars were registered (he even knows who owned them and when the plates were issued!).. It was filmed
only four days before the Great California Earthquake of April 18th 1906 and shipped by train to NY for processing.

favoritos

Quite the find Einne. Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing. It is almost surreal to think how that all changed in just a few days.
It is fascinating to watch the hustle and bustle with no real traffic control. Seems like there were a lot of people running at times. More than you would see today.
I wonder how many collisions occured in an average day?

booondocker

It was not unusual for folks to get killed by being run over....I know that for sure.

Interesting that the film was detailing how muddy the street is/was and that only 4 days later the big one hit...coincidence?? I think NOT!!

Anyone who has been out in LaLa land, knows that the hills are made of MUD...not good old rock, but mud....you go along after spring rains and suddenly the road ahead is impassable because a mud slide occurred. It simply slumps down and washes over the road and that is that....til someone with equipment comes and cleans it off. Also the streets/roads along side this obvious mud hills are put in with no fore planning of potential slides and have almost zero shoulders...so the mud comes down in an avalanche mode and covers the road. Strange to a midwesterner...for sure.

Nice piece of sleuthing, Nash....been there but don't remember any streets out there in the land of fruits and nuts, that had that much space between the buildings....but that was a long time ago...and this brain has washed out a bunch of things it should still remember.