197? Herter's Snowmobile

rozzy43

Does anyone have any info on one of these? 1972? Herters Husky? I found this in Southern KY. anyone have one, know someone or know where to pick up parts? Thanks.

herters.jpg

uncletom

I see you posted a month ago and no one has replied. The Herters is a cool old machine. We see one occasionally at vintage shows. From the pic this one appears to be all there. Does it have an engine? Does the engine roll over? Is the frame rusted through? What shape is the track and drivers? Most small parts from the old days were generic. If you can't find exact parts you can find or make something else work. If you don't care about a pristine restoration you can make a fun rider that not many have seen before for a modest investment. Old sleds are fun projects.

old abe

Whao, Southern Kentucky! I'll bet there is one very interesting story to this old fellow? To bad sleds can't talk,eh?

skiroule

I'd love to see that old beauty rescued and brought back to life. I've been on vintage rides in past years where a couple of guys always brought at least one Herter's.

I agree with uncletom that these are cool old sleds. Also agree that a lot of the parts are "off the shelf" things that were bought by the manufacturer (motors, clutches, bearings, and so on). It's surprising how much standard stuff these manufacturers used to get a sled on the market in the boom years of the 70's. For some parts, the trick is to find out what will work from another sled brand because there may not be a lot of parts sleds out there for some brands. Parts from another manufacturer may work (track, drivers, springs) but it can be a challenge to figure out what is interchangeable.

Someone can probably correct me on this but it's my understanding that these sleds were built specifically for marketing by the Herter's company via their catalog, as opposed to Sears Roebuck and Montgomery Wards that sub-contracted their sleds from manufacturers of other brands - Polaris, Gilson, etc. If true, this makes these sleds pretty special.

Like old abe said: "The stories this sled could tell". Think that's one of the reasons that the vintage world is so interesting. These old relics have a history that is unique to their place in snowmobiling history.

rozzy43

uncletom: its all there but the windshield, motor turns over ( 440 Sachs engine), 18 inch track is complete no tears, all bogie wheels roll. amazingly the seat is still somewhat in tack, just the hood is cracked in places but i did find a salvage yard that has one on the lot and all the parts I need. so this will be a slow process with some sandblasting and sanding, hope to have it ready for a vintage ride by next winter?

and yes Old Abe, Southern KY!, surprisingly there are quite a few snowmobiles in Kentucky. this one, the owner has had since the 80's. said he tried to work on it about 18 years ago and just couldn't find parts for it anymore, so he put it out back where it sat till I picked it up last month.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this. I did some research on the Herters and found that the first two digits on the Serial # will indicate the model year. Most likely you have a 72 as you have the squared off headlights. This old girl was built in Waseca, Minnesota. Herters discontinued snowmobiles in 1974.

rozzy43

Thanks for posting this. I did some research on the Herters and found that the first two digits on the Serial # will indicate the model year. Most likely you have a 72 as you have the squared off headlights. This old girl was built in Waseca, Minnesota. Herters discontinued snowmobiles in 1974.

vin says 71 on this one.

it's now garage kept waiting on work. :)

009.jpg 001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 007.jpg

rozzy43

anyone have any good secrets for getting 40yr old decals off hoods? trying not to use a razor blade for gouge reasons. progress is slow, but any tips will go a long way!

001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg

skiroule

That hood is cleaning up nicely, looks like it's in great shape.

I've used Klean-Strip Aircraft Decal and Adhesive Remover with some success but it takes several passes on really stubborn decals. Might be worth a try.

euphoric1

That hood is cleaning up nicely, looks like it's in great shape.

I've used Klean-Strip Aircraft Decal and Adhesive Remover with some success but it takes several passes on really stubborn decals. Might be worth a try.

skiroule, obviously you have used this product on fiberglass hoods, have you ever used this on painted aluminum? looking for a product that will remove adhesive without effecting the paint. Tried multiple products including one made for sign industry and ended up removing paint, other products very slow and take a lot of effort to make work and have a lot of adhesive to remove.

skiroule

I've removed stripes from painted tunnels with the product but they've always been painted eventually. I couldn't remember what the paint looked like after removing the decal so I went out today and tried it on a decal on a Cyclone tunnel that I had out back.

Didn't seem to affect the paint at all but it definitely takes several passes and some effort. Probably not the answer for a large area. I used a plastic body filler applicator to remove the decal, which is not particularly aggressive but is easy on the base material and paint.

rozzy43, I've also used a 3M adhesive remover to remove the adhesive residue after the decal is mostly removed. Seem to recall that it worked OK.

rozzy43

been awhile since I worked on this project, but here's a few pictures of how it's been going.

018.jpg 019.jpg 020.jpg 021.jpg 022.jpg 023.jpg 024.jpg 025.jpg 026.jpg

Attachments

• 027.jpg
    027.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 29

1fujifilm

Does anyone have any info on one of these? 1972? Herters Husky? I found this in Southern KY. anyone have one, know someone or know where to pick up parts? Thanks.

View attachment 59726

The Husky Herters!!
I had two back in about 1986, they were barn finds in the Green Bay, WI area I got from a farmer who had them stored in his hay mow.
They were quite nice and they rode like they were on 6 inches of powder.

Now the bad, they had steel bulkheads (most were aluminum by then or switching) and were heavy. I did love the black car speaker grills they put on each side of the hood though.

Back in 1986 Green Bay had a huge sled junkyard with lines worse then the motor-vehicle dept., guys were lined up 10 deep in 4 lines to fix what broke the week before. Anyway, Central Snowmobile is closed down.
Merrill, WI also had a huge sled junkyard but also closed down.

This one may help.. https://hudons.com/

I am sad to say, the paint thinner spent on this thing may be worth more than the sled itself. The Husky was never a beautiful machine and handled on all but a straight line like a tank.

Bear