1974 Ski-doo TNT 340

rozzy43

I just had one of these show up at my door last night. it needs some work (help), how hard is it to get parts for or find... for this sled???

Thanks in advance.

kirk600

Well it all depends on what it needs. You could check ebay, swap meets or any of the snowmobile salvage yards. Post up some details and maybe a few pictures when you get a chance. I would love to see it.

skiroule

It's a good day when a vintage sled shows up on your doorstep.

Is your TNT a fan or free air?

Adam (snoluver1) is somewhat of an expert on this vintage of TNTs. Not only did he own one but he restored one as a raffle sled for the John Dee Ride-In a couple of years back. I helped a little with the parts chasing and we had pretty good luck at finding a lot of used parts. The two things that were the toughest were a decent hood and track. We finally found a hood that wasn't completely destroyed (they tend to have cracking problems) and another JD member (phazerpilot) did an incredible job of restoring it. We finally had to go with a new track, as most of the used tracks were just too rough.

More and more reproduction stuff is starting to show up for these models. In fact, I saw a hood for the 74 - 76 fan models at Princeton last weekend that had to be a reproduction.

Good luck and show us some pics.

snoluver1

Well I wouldn't exactly call myself a T'NT "expert", but I have been around the block with one. Yes you can find parts for them but it will take some leg work without a doubt. As Skiroule said, finding a decent hood was probably the biggest issue. One thing we discovered in our searching was that Doo was experimenting with different materials around that time and switched back and forth between fiberglass and poly hoods. 74 was a poly hood, but you can interchange it with a fiberglass one from different years with only slight variations.(I forget which years exacltly). The general consensus is that the fiberglass ones are a bit easier to repair than the poly ones, from a bodywork point of veiw. A restoration is definitely doable if you want to put the time and money into it. With enough blood sweat and tears, you can turn it into this....

P8061474.jpg

snoluver1

By the way if your T'nT happens to be a free air, I have a set of slide rails that a certain somebody here spent a lot of time making look pretty. (Remember those Kelly, lol?) I'll let 'em go real cheap, as in you pay the shiping, if your interested.

rozzy43

just doing a quick walk around today, looks like the hood has cracks/stickers peeling, broken ski, dry rot on the track, rip in the seat, and the motor is locked up. and yes it is a T/A free air. tried to upload some pics, but they failed to do so.

skiroule

By the way if your T'nT happens to be a free air, I have a set of slide rails that a certain somebody here spent a lot of time making look pretty. (Remember those Kelly, lol?) I'll let 'em go real cheap, as in you pay the shiping, if your interested.

Oh yeah, I remember. I had almost gotten over the sting of failure. That skid did look nice. Just too bad it didn't fit the sled. Still like seeing photos of that sled though. As first go-arounds usually are, this one was pretty special.

just doing a quick walk around today, looks like the hood has cracks/stickers peeling, broken ski, dry rot on the track, rip in the seat, and the motor is locked up. and yes it is a T/A free air. tried to upload some pics, but they failed to do so.

Sounds like it's a pretty typical vintage sled situation. I've seen a couple of free air hoods in boneyards but they were pretty rough. Save-able, but very rough. Cool hood but completely different hood than the fan cooled version, Thinking the hood is probably fiberglass yet in 74. If so, it maybe can be saved. Might have to go with an aftermarket track to get a decent one. Take a look at mfgsupply.com and see if they have one.

Most likely the rings are stuck. Try some Mavel Mystery oil in the cylinders and work the clutch with a wrench now and then. You never know, I broke a Polaris Colt engine loose a few years back and rode it for two years after that.

May want to take snoluver1 up on his offer. As I recall, the rail mounting holes were in great shape, as opposed to many that are very egged out.

Cool sled though - I think it's worth saving.

kirk600

That looks like a pretty complete project. I would guess that the track would fit a few different years, and the ski shouldn't be much trouble. A good welder may even be able
to repair the ski if it isn't worn out.

The seat cover should be a simple job for anybody. Once you locate the material, replace the wood if its bad and use stainless steel staples. I did my first one this winter
and it wasnt a problem at all.

One piece if advice, take lots of pictures before you tear it down, and you can reference them if your memory fades you when its time to put it back together........

Good luck,
Kirk

rozzy43

The tear down has begun. engine removed, seat removed, gas tank removed.... tank needs some work or I may be on the hunt for a new tank.

3-27-16 034.JPG 3-27-16 039.JPG 3-27-16 044.JPG

"also after checking the numbers, seems this is a 75 T'NT project."

Attachments

• 3-27-16 034.JPG
    3-27-16 034.JPG
    516.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

rv245

rozzy

Just to let you know that sled is a 75 TNT F/A, not a 74. It should have a type 346 motor (340) which is the same as a 74. Parts can interchange on this sled from any 74 or 75 TNT F/A. Most the parts like hood, fuel tank, and dash would to come from one of those sleds.75. Tracks, skis, rear suspension can come from any 74/75 sled except the everest as it was a long track sled.