1986 polaris 600

schnook

I have a 1987 polaris 400 and now have the chance to buy 86 600 triple with triple pipes. Is there anything out of the ordinary to lookout for? I really love the little 400, I have decided to sell my 2009 shift and go back to the 80's and 90' era of snowmobiles.

Thanks, Schnook.

sweeperguy

I have a 1987 polaris 400 and now have the chance to buy 86 600 triple with triple pipes. Is there anything out of the ordinary to lookout for? I really love the little 400, I have decided to sell my 2009 shift and go back to the 80's and 90' era of snowmobiles.

Thanks, Schnook.

Some of the guys I ride with, run away when you mention Polaris triples. Never really asked why, one thing I do remember hearing is syncing the carbs is a PITA. I only had one, no issues with it at all.
I love getting out and running my 97 Indy hard and fast through the tight twistys, a couple of times a year. The low CG and growing up hanging off the inside on corners is a blast.
But I would not give up the suspension travel of the newer sleds. The off trail performance is night and day difference also. I suppose if a guy only did a couple hundred miles on trail a year it could be an option. (80's 90's era chassis) But not for me with the miles I log every year. I don't even run a "trail sled" but rather a RMK 144 because I love off trail. However if I were to give up off trail. The XC (swing arm) rear suspension on the newer Polaris is Awesome at eating up the bumps. I think it was 10 or 11 it came out, moving from 09 to that shouldn't be to much of a stretch.

Last edited:

schnook

For the past 2 years i have been lucky to put on more than 200 miles per year, and yes I love my 09 it is a 136" 1 1/4 track which i really enjoy, but is also so much fun to ride the older sleds and be able to throw it around a little easier. Unfortunately going up north doesn't fit in with schedule as of late, but you never know that may change. the triples don't bother me as I had an xlt at one time but as sweeperguy mentioned it is a pain with the carbs.

kirk600

I would say they can be made pretty reliable. I would check the heat exchanger and bulkhead area for cracks or other damage, all the suspension mounts, etc. the indy was around for years so parts are available aftermarket, OEM stuff takes some time as most of the big dealers don't have any parts that old. The cooling stuff(water pump, thermostat, etc.) will interchange with the centurion motor, and maybe the 650 triple as well.