1990 Polaris Indy 500 - Exhaust

maddogg

So my exhaust rotted out on the old Indy for the kids. Its a 500 liquid. Does anyone know if an exhaust off a fan motor is the same?

TIA!

skiroule

Guess it would depend on the displacement of the fan motor, 440 might work. A lot of those earlier Polaris mufflers were physically similar with the only obvious difference being the inlet flange size (and maybe some chassis mounting points). If the inlet flange of the replacement is the same size, I don't see why you couldn't get it mounted in some fashion. I put an Indy muffler of unknown year and engine size on a 79 440 free air. Not sure how finely these pipes are tuned but I didn't detect any performance issues with the Indy replacement. It goes like a bat.

mikedrh

The 488 Trail (fan cooled) motor and the Indy 500 motor are the same engine except for the (obvious) cooling system. If it physically fits go for it.

maddogg

Thanks for all the help guys. Someone PM me and found one on ebay. Used - but the guy sanded and painted it supposedly with high temp paint. Looks a lot better then what I have though. If the sled sees 100 miles a year I'd be shocked.

Thank you again for everything.