1995 Dodge 5.9 Tranny by chance?

m8man

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction. Long story, gave my 16 YO son my Dads 1995 dodge with 34,000 miles on it. Been using it for a month or so and I’ve had nothing but problems. I had mistakenly thought that a low mileage truck would be a nice deal and easy driver for a while. I have roughly $5,000 into this truck in the last 60 days and more troubles now. Kid is heartbroken but that’s how it goes....

A new tranny is roughly 2k plus install, so I’m looking for a used one if possible. I’m in the Keweenaw and looking for ideas on salvage yards to call...

If anyone has a suggestion lmk. Not afraid to drive to land him one.

Take care my friends..

M8man

Go Fast or Go Home

Check out Jasper Transmission/Engines.

Comes with a decent warranty.. I put one in my 1995 Ford. Was still going strong when I sold the truck

Don~

m8man

Thanks, almost tapped out on this one.. have 5k into it because it was my Dads and I want to see my kid enjoy it. My kid loves the truck and is pretty upset. I am debating buying him a 2010-2015 truck but could always have issues I guess. No way I would have spent the money but because it was my Dads and I lost him 2 years ago I am. Can’t catch a break on this bugger. Worst part is, nobody in the Keweenaw can look at it for at least a month around here. For the $$$$$ I have into this it makes me sick but I want my kid to know the value of a buck. He is 16 and did just land his first real job, besides odd jobs and grass.

hybrid

Cousineau Recycling in Antigo 715 623 2372​

i bought stuff here before
place is giant
nice people
i never bought a transmission from them
i bet the have one tho
mostly body parts for me
keep hitting dam deer
i 2nd Jasper good company great warranty
bought several long blocks from them over the years

whitedust

I don’t have a name but briefly surfed the web and transmission shops all over. Living in Phelps WI all those years I found for medical and mechanical professional help my closest source was Wausau or the Fox Cities. Surf and call see who gives you the warm fuzzies.

chunk06

What is the problem with the transmission? Make sure the bands don't need to be adjusted, It was a common problem on the 2nd gens. It is easy to do, just have to drop the pan. Years ago i bought a 1996 with a "bad transmission" towed it home, adjusted the bands and changed the filter, drove it for a year before selling it.

mezz

Have you tried Northern Driveline?. It used to be Jerry's Transmission outside of Ripley. You have this much invested in it, some of it normal maintenance despite the fact that it has had a lack of use and perhaps some of that is because of its lack of use. You have a young powertrain, IMO if it takes a little longer to get it in, then, wait it out. You won't recover what you have into it if you bail now and you can't replace it without spending more on something you know nothing about. Keep in mind, shops have been backed up for the last 2 yrs & now you have the lovely UAW strike that has put all auto related issues to be further delayed.

m8man

Yup, Decided on somewhere else after a discussion about time to do a job vs other places.

I towed it tonight to a shop that will peek at it in the morning...... may owe those guys lunch

warner

LKQ auto parts in Hustisford, WI is a large salvage yard right in my back door. If you need to, call them and see if they have a used one.
I am headed to Greenland Thursday afternoon and would be more than happy to haul it up for ya.

m8man

warner,

thanks i called there and they don't have any currently. I appreciate the offer.

take care,
m8man

warner

Bummer , your Welcome.
my son just got his license 3 weeks ago, he is driving a 2003 toyota tacoma 4x4 with 274,000 clicks on it..we spent the last year and a half working on it together to get it road ready....he is very proud of that ol geeerl

warner

overall not terrible, however we did have to make a patch on the frame in the drivers side rear fender well area.
should be a great lil truck for him at least for a few years anyway.

m8man

I did buy a Tranny today at Hilltop Wausau. Hopefully installed in the next week. Has 55,000 miles on it.

I’ll have quite a bit into this truck almost a full revamp. Decided on the tranny used as I saw a video of the truck running. That place was huge and a cash only setup!!

Guy in front of me bought a set of steel rims for his truck for winter tires, $25/ea