1999 600 triple XLT Torque specs

big_bill

My son was riding with me and smoked a piston on my 1999 XLT Touring. PTO side. Got block bored and honed, new pistons. Am in need of torque specs. Split the case to put in new crank seals. So need specs for case, block, heads, cover, exhaust and putting new carb boots so need specs for them as well. Also clutch (drive) bolt spec. Thanks for any help. Big Bill

rmk4ever

First the specs on ring end gap... 0.008-0.018
crankcase bolts use loctite gasket eliminator 515 sealant between the 2 halves

Crankcase bolts - 8 mm bolts 17-18 ft. lb.
Crankcase bolts - 10 mm bolts 23-25 ft. lb.
Cyl stud nuts - 24-28 ft. lb.
Flywheel - 60-65 ft, lb.
cyl head bolts 8 mm bolts 17-18 ft. lb.
cyl head bolts 10 mm bolts 24-26 ft. lb.
Clutch primary sheave bolt 45-50 ft.lb.

Carb boots & exhaust I just make sure they are tight & re check them after a couple heat - cool cycles
Great time to go thru carbs & fuel filter
Great time to have your clutches gone thru also
Did you find the reason for the burn down?
That's #1 in my book

If you need any more help just ask
this is a great site for it
lot's of knowledge here without all the smart arsed comments you get from other sites.

big_bill

Cracked the case tonight, looks like pto side bearing/crank wore causing seal to suck air. It was a cold meltdown, front of piston was where the damage was. Already had the block bored and honed and bought parts but now I don't know if I want to spend the $ for a crank. Also had a hard time getting the flywheel off, messed it up, so in need of flywheel too. Your right about JD website, it's a great resource. I've been using site since John was fairly new, got pics posted starting in gallery 5, in 2002. I believe site started in 99 or 00? THANK YOU for the specs.

rmk4ever

Cracked the case tonight, looks like pto side bearing/crank wore causing seal to suck air. It was a cold meltdown, front of piston was where the damage was. Already had the block bored and honed and bought parts but now I don't know if I want to spend the $ for a crank. Also had a hard time getting the flywheel off, messed it up, so in need of flywheel too. Your right about JD website, it's a great resource. I've been using site since John was fairly new, got pics posted starting in gallery 5, in 2002. I believe site started in 99 or 00? THANK YOU for the specs.

Hey, Iv'e got 2 flywheels, stators, cranks, jugs, cases & water pumps, coils, cdi's. I've had 5 of these the in the last 10 yrs, so plenty of parts here. Just let me know... cheaper then e-bay or craigslist... to fellow JD'ers. Good luck:D