2/8 Manitowish, Minocqua, Rhinelander update

pclark

Had to go down to Rhinelander today, When I left Manitowish Waters at 7:30am, it was 14 degrees, all looked good but the sun was out. When I came back around 1pm the sun had taken its toll, The grade along 47 Rhinelander up to Minocqua is showing gravel and definitely took a hit, trails off in the woods looked ok and white, near the roads and in towns very snirty and muddy as one can expect. Trails in and around the town of Minocqua looked pretty muddy and things were melting down, the farther north I got towards Manitowish things looked liked they faired better, downtown MW by the bridge/dam the road is bare by the Pea Patch but woods trails look pretty good. It was 34 degrees when I got back and the sun had dissapeared. This time of year the sun on a cloudless day can really burn through the trails in spots. Supposed to get 1-2" snow tonight/Wedneday am and showing snow Thursday (Channel 12 weather out of Rhinelander is now saying possibly 6") and Friday as well. I think we have some decent riding left but it's anybodys guess after March 1st.

jwmcatman

thanks pclark, 6" would be good, I ride the Rhinelander, sugar camp , three lakes area often and trails have held up nicely this year with the limited snow, though this week I am in Seattle working, back up early next week for a couple weeks. Hope for more snow.

pclark

thanks pclark, 6" would be good, I ride the Rhinelander, sugar camp , three lakes area often and trails have held up nicely this year with the limited snow, though this week I am in Seattle working, back up early next week for a couple weeks. Hope for more snow.
1" overnight on Tuesday, forecast is for 3"-6" Thursday night through Friday late night. Temps dropping after the snow so could be good for awhile yet.

dfattack

1" overnight on Tuesday, forecast is for 3"-6" Thursday night through Friday late night. Temps dropping after the snow so could be good for awhile yet.
We really need the snow. That would be great for the area. Was out today so I can confirm. Towns and road crossing are brown mud snow. Even up in the northern part of the U.P.

I've been in Rhinelander since Wednesday morning. Have not run into one long bare stretch at all. Definitely thin spots, but still has base. Plenty of icy corners. Have been pleasantly surprised. Enough snow and clubs have done good, considering resources. Unfortunately, Rhinelander had groomers down. So, there has been some choppy stretches as well. 4+ inches overnight will really spruce things up and fill in bumps. Sugar Camp was very nice

SledTL

Pclark how things looking up your way in BJ and mercer? Looks like more snow south of you.

pclark

Pclark how things looking up your way in BJ and mercer? Looks like more snow south of you.
We recieved 2" of nice packing snow overnight, 2" more of dry stuff during the day today. It wasn't the 6" we were hoping for but maybe more lake effect tonight. Initially The heaviest of around 4-5" went a little further south, but to be honest, things look very good in this area right now, loads of sleds arrived today. Great February riding conditions, enjoy it while you can if you are coming up.