2000 Polaris 600 Touring jug leaking antifreeze

big_bill

Just wondering if anyone else had this problem. One of the jugs on my 600 touring developed a couple small hairline cracks that are leaking antifreeze. At first I thought it was leaking from one of the nuts that bolt the jug to the block. I just had it apart and replaced the base gaskets. Pulled it in the garage tonight and found it is leaking from a few small hairline cracks just below the powervalve and above the molded POLARIS letters on the jug. These jugs were bought new 2 years ago and probably have 12 to 14 hundred miles on them. 295 mile this year after replacing base gaskets. Anybody else heard of this and what would cause it?
Thanks in advance
Big Bill
PS Seems like we get this warm up every year around January. Hope we get plenty of snow soon!

ABM2958

I had this problem a couple of years ago on a 600 edge x. Tried buying different used cylinders and they all did the same thing. The problem is that they crack right around the edge of the exhaust valve area.

We tried to TIG weld the crack but as the metal was heated it made the crack run up higher towards the top edge of the cylinder.

The fix that worked for me was to remove the cylinder, grind a vee into the crack, sandblast the area adjacent to the crack, spray it all clean with carb cleaner, and then apply JB Weld to the crack and onto the area around it. After the JB Weld is in place you can put a piece of duct tape over it until it dries / cures to make it look very smooth and prevent runs.

After I fixed mine this way I put another 6000 miles on the motor before selling it this year. The problem is that the casting is too thin in this area and it just needs to be reinforced. It only has to hold minimal coolant pressure, around 10 pounds I believe.

Hope this helps and if you need a different cylinder let me know as I have a few extras laying around now.