2000 polaris triumph triple growl bearings???

ridehard

I have a 2000 polaris Triumph with a triple xlt motor that has develope a unusual growl to it, sounds like it coming from the clutch side and there is some high frequency vibration on that side also. Is this the crank bearings getting ready to go out? It has 6100 miles on the crank. Top rebuilt last year with 2000 miles on it now. It still rips really good and I don't notice any performance loss. Have people had good luck reliability with rebuilding the bottom ends on these motors? any comments greatly appreciated.

vector08

It is definatly the crank bearings going out. If you rebuild it from bottom up, it will run as long as you want it too. My dad had the same sled and it made it to almost 9000 miles. Those motors were always great motors.

jeff

might be clutch issues. with that many mile on it bushings might be worn bad and other components causing bad vibs

might be clutch issues. with that many mile on it bushings might be worn bad and other components causing bad vibs

X2 Could be clutch issues for sure.......do something now to fix it or you could possibly bend your crank. Something is out of balance.

ridehard

Did some investigating on the engine and found that one bolt was completely out and the other was loose. these bolts hold the engine to the mount straps on the bottom of the engine. So I pulled the engine because I could not get the bolt back in. Had to retap the hole. All went together good but when I started it it made the same noise as before. I then removed the drive clutch so I could start the engine without it to eliminate that being the noise but when I remove the clutch the crank seal fell out. How did this engine even run with the seal out and in this condition. So the noise I was hearing was the seal being out kind of like exhaust and intake noise all in one. So now I am going to pull the engine again and get the crank checked out and replace any bearings and hopefully thats all. I did check compression and all were around 120.

Did some investigating on the engine and found that one bolt was completely out and the other was loose. these bolts hold the engine to the mount straps on the bottom of the engine. So I pulled the engine because I could not get the bolt back in. Had to retap the hole. All went together good but when I started it it made the same noise as before. I then removed the drive clutch so I could start the engine without it to eliminate that being the noise but when I remove the clutch the crank seal fell out. How did this engine even run with the seal out and in this condition. So the noise I was hearing was the seal being out kind of like exhaust and intake noise all in one. So now I am going to pull the engine again and get the crank checked out and replace any bearings and hopefully thats all. I did check compression and all were around 120.

Wow that's crazy....hope all goes well from here on out....good luck!!

ridehard

The problem solved

Pulled the engine and tore down completely. Other than some minor piston scuffing and the seal pieces being in the bearing there was nothing else wrong. The bearings cleaned out good and spun very nice. The crank was true within .002 at both ends and .0005 in the middle. I will install new gaskets and seals ($85) and go from there. I should have it going by new years but unfortunately we have rain in the forcast for both Thurs and Fri . Hope for colder temps and lots of snow.