2002 polaris classic touring

mojo

I notice today when my wife was driving the sled. when you go into the corners the skies will lift up and the back end spin around. what adjustments should I make? this is a gen2 xtra12. thanks for any input. wife was getting tired from the sled.

bigred_tr

Best to go to manual but sounds like you need more ski pressure. One way this is done is by tighening your limiter strap.

Might also be able to move your spring locks on your ski's too...but again check out your adjustments for your sled via the manual.

BR

mojo

i was thinking of moving the spring lock upward. to tighten the coil spring up. right now they are about 1/2. so they look about right.

moving limiter strap look hard to move on the sled??

skutr

Adjusting the limiter strap should be pretty easy. Lift up the back of the sled far enough to put a 2x4 under the front of the track (right where it turns up) and lower it back down. The weight of the sled will compress the front of the track and take the stress off the limiter strap.

It will be a tight fit for your hands but you should be able to unbolt the strap from itself and tighten it by one notch. I don't remember if that sleds got one or two but be sure to do both if it's got them.

BUT before you do that make sure that the rear suspension is adjusted for the weight of your wife. That sled will throw itself around if its set up for two 250 lb adults and your wife if 5'4" and 120 lbs. The owners manual should talk about how to do that.

mojo

when googling xtra 12 sounds like they have a handling problem with the back end kicking out and skies staying on the ground for cornering. i read that limiter strap leave alone. mess with preload shock in front of suspension.. it might be hard to set up for 2 people vs solo.

bigred_tr

yup your correct mojo..Higher center of gravity with the extra 12..and the sled is heavier.
The strap isn't to hard to adjust as said above. Ski shock adjustment will help too.
As for the wife getting tired. mmmmmm there is some work to do when you ride a sled the way they are intended too run :) so maybe some what expected.

Ask her if she'd rather be tired of sledding for the day or doing the house work. lol I didn't say that..:) Just kidding Ladies !!

BR

campsob

Extra 12 is similar to M10 in that there is less track in contact with the snow and a higher center of gravity. That said, I've found that limiter strap and front spring/ski pressure is less of an issue than the carbides you run. Having had several of sleds with these suspensions I have found that Woodys Doolys solve a lot of handling issues, especially darting which is what they were designed for in the first place. You might also consider studding the track, not a lot but 96 up the center for a 121 does a lot to settle the back end.