2002 Seadoo Waverunner :need opinions

jjj70095

I like to go out waverunning 3-4 times a summer in JulyAugust when it is hot for casual riding.

I have come across a 2002 seadoo gti for sale for $3300, includes trailer. I am not looking to spend a lot for the few times a year I ride.
The frame/body is in a great shape. They have put in a "brand new", 2 stroke engine with 0 miles on it. The original models had a two stroke.
... Do you engine experts think this is a good deal?

Last edited:

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had one about the same model year. They were pretty basic back then, not much to wear out or fail except the engine and the impeller bearing. $3,300 with the trailer, sure why not.

jjj70095

My only concern is the two stroke engine....how reliable are they? Also, do I have to put in a mix of oil and gas each time I fill the gas tank?

Also, take a look at the scratch in lower left corner i saw today under my sea doo jet boat as i was getting something out of the impeller. There is no water leaking into the boat, can i go for two more weeks before taking it out for the season and get a gel coat?? Or should I not use it anymore until the scratch is fixed??

Attachments

• scratch on bottom of jet boat in lower left.jpg
    scratch on bottom of jet boat in lower left.jpg
    720 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

hybrid

should be oil injected
they are just as reliable as snowmobile 2 stroke engines if you take care of them and dont hold it wide open all day long
that gouge is bad
its threw the gel-coat
the raw fiberglass is showing
should get that sealed up asap
the water hitting that area at high speed could peel more gel-coat off

jjj70095

I got boat out of water for season and took it to a body shop. They said the gouge was not a serious issue and all I need to do is sand it and put epoxy on it. They wanted -->$900 to do it!!!

I took it to another boat shop and they are doing it for $400 cash this weekend. Glad it was not a serious issue, probably caused at boat launch.

ezra

I got boat out of water for season and took it to a body shop. They said the gouge was not a serious issue and all I need to do is sand it and put epoxy on it. They wanted -->$900 to do it!!!

I took it to another boat shop and they are doing it for $400 cash this weekend. Glad it was not a serious issue, probably caused at boat launch.
Screw that unless it is some kind of collector deal. Just get a tube of 3m 5200 finger it in and call it a day and worry about it again in 5 or 6 yrs . . I had a criscraft that had the blister issues . Would open the cracked ones every spring clean up use 5200 . Never had any fall out or peel back . Innthe 7 yrs I owned it
Use it for all under h20 repairs have for decades .

jjj70095

The garage did the sanding and refinishing, and also painted the hull again. There were around 3 bumps on the bottom hull. I will inspect the hull more closely going forward each summer, as these bumps may have been there on the bottom for years.....

whitedust

The garage did the sanding and refinishing, and also painted the hull again. There were around 3 bumps on the bottom hull. I will inspect the hull more closely going forward each summer, as these bumps may have been there on the bottom for years.....
Those are gel coat blisters more than likely not good. Fix or sell it up to you. What year is the boat that’s usually an age thing?

jjj70095

2014 sea doo sportster - last model made by seadoo...Boat has been fantastic with no major problems. 240 hours. I should not say they were bumps, but more like scratches or dents......

jjj70095

They were not profitable. I felt I was the only one buying the jet boats (lol). Scarab makes the jet boats now, but the cost is $40k.
The seadoo was $14k. I plan to keep it a long time.

whitedust

They were not profitable. I felt I was the only one buying the jet boats (lol). Scarab makes the jet boats now, but the cost is $40k.
The seadoo was $14k. I plan to keep it a long time.
I have a buddy that put in a brand new engine in his loves doo jet boat.