2003 700 polaris SKS xcsp Coolant vanishing issues to start with ..

pirate

Lost all the coolant in the system. But have nothing in the belly pan , and no leaks . Did not get a hot light come on in the dash . Just started running a little rough . How can I see if somehow all the coolant ended up in the bottom end ? Have heard of this happening . Compression is good at 130 & 132 with the motor warm .
Ideas or clues to chase ??
Thx

polarisrider1

Lost all the coolant in the system. But have nothing in the belly pan , and no leaks . Did not get a hot light come on in the dash . Just started running a little rough . How can I see if somehow all the coolant ended up in the bottom end ? Have heard of this happening . Compression is good at 130 & 132 with the motor warm .
Ideas or clues to chase ??
Thx

Yup, either your coolant belt or gear drive for water pump went. had that on my kids 03 700 RMK. 02-03 is the time they went from belt to gear drive. his light came on way way late. Fixed it and off to Bronson that sled went. It could also be the inner "O" ring they refer to as the head gasket is bad and you are burning off the coolant in the motor. This "O" ring type gasket is thinner then spagetti. You need to be very careful installing the new one, it fit's in a groove and seem a bit small in diameter.

- - - Updated - - -

there is an inspection window on the side of the housing if it is belt drive.. the pump is located towards the front of the motor by the pull rope housing. check that first. I would replace the thermostat too!

- - - Updated - - -

there is an inspection window on the side of the housing if it is belt drive.. the pump is located towards the front of the motor by the pull rope housing. check that first. I would replace the thermostat too!

pirate

Thanks , good info to start my search , it's not belt drive I know that .. Off to the garage ...

- - - Updated - - -

? though , If the coolant is in the block , what to do to drain/get it out ?

polarisrider1

Thanks , good info to start my search , it's not belt drive I know that .. Off to the garage ...

- - - Updated - - -

? though , If the coolant is in the block , what to do to drain/get it out ?
If it runs coolant is not in block, Pull top of head and inspect "O" ring head gaskets. You got to be burning off antifreeze/water. it just does not disappear.

rp7x

if your oil pump is on the back of the block under carbs = no belt , if it's on the front right = belt , you DID HAVE a belt , they don't run bad with water inj.

pirate

Ok , all new power valve set up , new head O'rings and spark plug O'rings , fresh fuel , new thermostat and O'ring good plug color , coolant perged b4 running it (at idle to 3000 rpm , no load ). So with no load , sled on the stand , no coolant leaks , when thermostat finally opens it runs a little rough ( goes from sounding fine to a groan ) , take a spin around the yard and under load , coolant blows out from somewhere around water pump and motor looses all power and sounds awful . Let it cool , on the stand refill coolant , runs fine till the thermostat opens , runs like crap but will not blow coolant anywhere (on the stand) . 110 compression in each cyl hot , good plugs , Another spin around the yard and loos's all coolant and sounds like its going to blow . So My ? is could just the water pump being shot cause this ? Or do I maybe have bottom end / crank issues under load ?? Or something else ??

mikedrh

Fix the leak first.

That machine should have the auto retard in the CDI when the motor reaches a certain temp. The hotter the motor gets the more it retards the timing.

Polaris claims you can run the motor with no coolant at all and because the timing is so far retarded you'll be WOT at about 20 MPH. The cooling affect from all the fuel your dumping in will keep the engine from overheating. Not sure I would test that.

polarisrider1

Water pump is not working. I suspect belt as I said earlier. I had a 03 700 RMK with a belt drive water pump located in front of pull rope housing, bearing went out and broke belt. There is an inspection hole on housing, you may have a sticker over the hole. The sled is getting hot and retards timing. Poo's way to save the motor by getting your attention. Belt drive pumps are much easier to fix then the gear drive pumps. You could have either system. The 03's were belt drive and the 04's are gear drive just researched it further for you.

Last edited:

motor_slut

Water pump is not working. I suspect belt as I said earlier. I had a 03 700 RMK with a belt drive water pump located in front of pull rope housing, bearing went out and broke belt. There is an inspection hole on housing, you may have a sticker over the hole. The sled is getting hot and retards timing. Poo's way to save the motor by getting your attention. Belt drive pumps are much easier to fix then the gear drive pumps. You could have either system. The 03's were belt drive and the 04's are gear drive just researched it further for you.

All 700 and 800 models through 2005 were belt drive.

pirate

Thx Mikedrh & Polaris rider 1
Looks like my X mass morning will be spent in the garage pulling the water pump , The retarded CDI timing makes sense the way the motor sounded & acted . Hope that's it ..

indy_500

Correct. (that's what I said). We are talking about pirates 03 700 sled.

- - - Updated - - -

He said there is no water in belly pan and no leaks that can be seen, so I ruled that out. The belts tend to rot over the years.
Looks like I forgot how to read lol

indy_500

Let's just blame it on the "Egg Nog" last night little buddy! Merry Christmas Indy!
Lol merry Christmas to you too! Woke up to a nice 3" another inch fell since and still lightly snowing. Took dads sled for a nice rip in the ditches this morning upped his odometer from 220 to 230

raceinsnow

When the base gaskets leak on the twins they leak into the crankcase and burn the antifreeze. I bet there is a sweet antifreeze smell coming out of the exhaust when the sled is running.I have also seen a hair line crack in the cylinder that will also let coolant into the crankcase.