2003 Yamaha RX1 coolant question

snowshark94

Does anyone know how to properly fill and bleed the cooling system on a 2003 Yamaha RX1 from empty. It currently was drained, fixed, refilled from empty, and now it overheats and he cant get the air pockets out.

Is 50/50 antifreeze good enough or do you think 60/40 would be better?

Comments are appreciated

Thanks,
Mike

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
You can put the front end up on blocks and with the Filler Cap off it should "burp" the system. The Fluid Level will drop when this occurs. You can also idle the engine during this process so the fluid is pushed through the system further eliminating bubbles. Just remember to leave the Filler Cap off during this process so it can breath.

50/50 should be fine. Be sure it's not pre-dilluted, read the label to be sure.

Yooper_Bob

The manual for my '05 Warrior states "use a 60/40 mix".

You may also want to check the coolant cross-tube that runs underneath the rear bumper...on my warrior, there is a little vent screw that can be used to let air out.

fredster

The best thing to do is to check the temp with an antifreeze tester. I think 50/50 gets your around -25/-30 and 60/40 pushes it down to roughly -40? There is usually a chart on the side of the jug that tells you the exact mix for a given level of protection, too. I am in the habit of checking the coolant in all of my engines each fall, just to make sure that they're good to -35 or so.....

whitedust

50/50 is fine. The more antifreeze you put in the less cooling effect you get. You need the water to disperse temp.

dab102999

If you got a bleed screw on the back like on my attak you need to raise the back of the sled and bleed the air out...also water wetter will drop operating temp around 10 deg. or so.

whitedust

If you got a bleed screw on the back like on my attak you need to raise the back of the sled and bleed the air out...also water wetter will drop operating temp around 10 deg. or so.

I use water wetter too but remember that water wetter raises the freeze temp makes it higher not lower at rest but does cool better than water.

G

G

Raise the front, raise the back, tip it on its right side , tip it on its left side. Repeat until you feel the running board exchangers heating up. When you are done you will not need to do any excercising for two days. I do not believe there was a bleed screw on the crossover tube in the back of the '03 RX1. That would take all the fun out of this project. On the positive side the RX1 will shut itself down if you don't get it bled properly. It will take one 6 pack of beer for it to cool down enough to work on if this happens. Bud Light worked for me.