2004 Polaris Sportsman 700

snowshark94

I am having a shifting problem with my Sportsman. When the atv is off it shifts all the gears with ease and no problems. When the atv is running it is very hard to shift between the gears. Do you guys think it is a clutching problem and the motor still has a load on the transmission making it hard to switch gears. Should I get the clutches rebuilt?

Thanks,
Mike

raceinsnow

The primary drive clutch has a bearing that the belt rides on so that when the motor is at idle speed the belt has no drag on it and the transmition can shift eazy.The bearing and the belt have grooves in them so they track strait, if the belt is bad or the bearing is bad the belt will jump out of the tacks and drag on the clutch and spin the transmition and grind the gears.Try a new belt first and leave the belt cover of for testing, with the new belt on rev up the motor in neutral and when the motor comes back down to an idle the belt should not be turning or draging, if it is then you will need to remove the primary clutch and have it rebuilt with a new bearing. Just something to start with, hope this helped.

snowshark94

I had Goodwin performance in Zion, IL clean and rebuild both clutches and they also replaced the primary clutch bearing. The problem is still present and the Sportsman cannot shift between gears while running. When I turn the ATV off I can shift it no problem. Goodwin thinks it might be a brake related issue. Very weird, has anyone experienced this before? I also bought a rebuilt transmission and replaced it, but no luck.

Thanks,
Mike

markshop

I am having a shifting problem with my Sportsman. When the atv is off it shifts all the gears with ease and no problems. When the atv is running it is very hard to shift between the gears. Do you guys think it is a clutching problem and the motor still has a load on the transmission making it hard to switch gears. Should I get the clutches rebuilt?

Thanks,
Mike

Possible motor mount. clutch alinement.

mikedrh

You can be 100% positive that the EBS is not working correctly.

Most common problem (not always) is the thrust washers for the one-way drive in the primary are worn and it won't center itself. If the one-way drive is off center so is the belt and it rubs up against the sheave.

snowshark94

Issue Resolved

I gave up and took it into the Polaris Dealership in Lakewood WI and they were able to fix it in an hour. The issue was the Belt and the Idle. When I got the ATV last year I put a Brand new Dayco belt on it and the Dealer said the Dayco belt is not correct and too small for the ATV even though Dayco says it is the correct belt. They put a Polaris belt on the ATV and it was better, but not shifting perfectly yet. They noticed it was Idling to high, making the clutch tighten up and so they lowered the Idling RPM and now it shifts like butter. They put the Dayco back on with the Idle lowered and it still wouldn't shift correctly, so the Dayco belt is definitely smaller. I am happy I can now plow with this thing!

Thank you everyone who tried to help

Mike