2005 Honda Rincon shifting problems/long warm up time

andyverbeck

I have an 05 Rincon 650 that takes forever to warm up. 10 minutes in 65*+ weather, and at least 25 minutes or more in the winter time. I have often tried to rid eit very easy after 5 minutes of warm up time, and it will not shift into 3rd gear. If it does, it runs very poorly, and shifts in and out of 2nd and 3rd. I hate doing this, and almost always wait for 15-20 minutes. Is this normal?

I have been running Honda 5w or 10w oil as of yet. I have been told 0W oil will make a big difference. True??? When this machine get plenty warm, it runs like a champ!!!

Any advice out there would help a ton.

AV

eao

Normal? Not in my opinion

I have a 2006 Rincon. I can start mine and drive it away without a hiccup without warming it up. But the 2006 has FI, not a carb like the 05. My Carbed Ranchers never gave me any problems like this.

I wonder if you have the correct amount of oil in it? You do know you cannot just pull out the dipstick to check the oil? You have to run the engine first for a specific amount of time, let is sit for 2-3 min then take a reading wit the dipstick not screwed in.

The Rincon has an car like auto trans with a torque converter and the trans shares oil with the engine. If you don't have exactly the correct amount of oil in it, the shifting will be erratic.

I have found many owners don't read the manual and put in oil using the dipstick with the motor off as the guide and come up short on oil. Bet this is whats going on?

I run synthetic 0W-40 AMSOIL in mine since new, drove it 20 miles and changed to synthetic.

uncle_ed

AV, will it allow you to drive away in first gear after a short warm up without stahling? Is the only issue with the third gear and no other performance issues? I have an 04 that has always needed the choke to start it(unless it already warmed up, hondas are typically always cold blooded) but after a short idle & warm up it will run fine winter or summer. If its real cold I may run with the choke on for a minute or two at most. Never a shifting issue. If you have no other performance problems than you may have a valve sticking or solenoid issue in the trans. Since you have this problem above 65 degrees then changing oil to a 0w is only circumventing the problem. Those things are pretty bullit proof, I would check basics first like oil level up and filter not in wrong or clogged, air filter clean etc. Any trouble lights on?
ED

sledhd1

Is it electric shift if it is the battery has to 100% check overall voltage even thought its a 12volt battery it should be 12.80 vlts fully charged. Warm up issue fatten the low speed up 1 size will make a world of difference in warm up time.

andyverbeck

Changed oil to 0W 40. Helped a ton, but still has some shifting issues when cold. When allowed to warm up for a few minutes, it runs fine. I am going to give it some time to see how this works.

Thanks for the info!

AV

eao

Did you follow the oil checking procedure in the owners manual?

That is, running the engine from cold start for 3-5 min, shutting down and waiting 2-3 to check it with the dipstick not screwed in? Supposed to fail between the 2 hash marks. It also says to increase the 3-5 min times in colder weather.

Not trying to give you a hard time but I have met a few Rincon owners who do not follow this method and have shift problems. I have had a few think I was bs'ing them.

Many claim that keeping the oil near the top mark on the dip stick makes the trans perform better.

andyverbeck

Yes sir. It is pretty crucial to NOT SCREW IN THE DIPSTICK after that warm up time. I had no idea the was the correct way, along with most owners, I would imagine. That extra 1/2 inch of clearance is huge!!!

Oh yeah, and when this machine is running correctly, there is no stopping it!!! Awesome ATV!!!!

AV

andyverbeck

Guys, I can stress how much difference this made! It is night and day. Proper lubrication in this ATV is huge, and I really didnt believe it was that big of a deal. 0W 40. AMAZING!!!

eao

Good to hear that..

Lots of owners are afraid to use a 0W-40. Even Polaris owners where its the only viscosity recommended by Polaris will use a 15W-40 or a 20W-50.

I like my Rincon.

uncle_ed

I like my Rincons too! The newer units with efi are just awesome! I will have to keep the oil thing in mind should I have any problems in the future.

118350.jpg