2006 700 Crossfire belt deflection

muskiedoo

Hey guy's. Specifically Cat guy's. My buddy owns a 2006 Crossfire 700. He does not post on this site but needs some help so that is why I am here. He needs to know how to adjust the belt deflection on this sled. Here's why. He put a new belt on and when the track is lifted off the ground and sled running, the track will spin at a fairly good clip. Not good enough to move the sled forward if it were on the ground running but more than what we think is usual. He applied the brake and that stopped the tack but as soon as he let off it started spinning again. Any thoughts or insight? Thanks in advance.

Mike

bedgar7

In the tool kit there is a special tool to take out the white nylon adjuster in the center of the secondary. Remove the adjuster, note that it is LEFT had threads on this. On the adjuster there will be an O ring holding on a stack of shims. You Remove a shim to lower the belt in the secondary and Add a shim to raise it. Re-install the adjuster and snug it up decently tight, but be careful because these fine thread nylon adjusters are known for stripping. I adjust my belt so that the top of the belt is riding about 2-3mm above the top of the secondary.

muskiedoo

Thank you bedgar7. My buddy tried that and he said it made adjustments laterally on the jackshaft (as like lining up the clutches). Not vertically like you are saying. I forgot to mention in my first post that in addition to the new belt, he replaced the nylon adjuster with a new metal one because, like you said, he stripped the nylon one a bit. I helped him replace the belt and install the new adjuster and I remember he had put the shims on the new adjuster the same way he took them off of the old nylon adjuster. I also recall his new belt was riding 2-3mm above the secondary. The other day he called the dealer about this and the dealer sent him even more shims and said to add them as well but that just made the track spin even quicker soooooo hummmm do you think (like I'm now thinking) that he needs to go back where he started from with the original shims and possibly remove a shim or two. Do you think the new metal adjuster may be requireing less shims with a new belt installed? I'm starting to lean toward that thought and just looking for confirmation. Thanks again man!

Mike

muskiedoo

Thanks man! I'll send him the link. He has not messed with it for a while. He has a new X-fire 800 and can't get him off it. LOL!

Mike