2007 Arctic Cat F6 Fuel Tank

My wife has a 2007 F6 LXR. We fueled it up on Saturday morning inside the trailer, along with my F8. Drove to where we were getting on the trail, and when I opened the trailer, her sled had fuel all over underneath. Fuel cap snapped down tight. No gas spillage on outside of tank by seat. Leaking out of belly pan. Do these have a history of bad tanks like the Firecats had back in the earlier 2000's? If so, does Cat help out with the new tank?
Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Once it quit dripping, and had sat outside for an hour, we rode for about 100 miles. When we fueled up again, we kept it below the level of the neck and had no fuel leaking anywhere.

anonomoose

This has been a cat problem for a long time. Seam of the neck cracks. Do some checking but I believe you can get an "insert" that will correct this for you without having to take the tank off. Certainly check with the local Cat dealer to see if they have a recall on in. Be sure to take great care on uncorking the tank as it seems they can crack there very easily.

poprivetus

Might want to check with the dealer to see if there is a recall repair. I had the tank replaced free of charge on my wife's 2006 Saber Cat.

I road with a friend that had a F1000 last march. his tank cracked by the fuel sending unit, had to run with no more than 2/3 tank all week.

meathead

My wife has a 2007 F6 LXR. We fueled it up on Saturday morning inside the trailer, along with my F8. Drove to where we were getting on the trail, and when I opened the trailer, her sled had fuel all over underneath. Fuel cap snapped down tight. No gas spillage on outside of tank by seat. Leaking out of belly pan. Do these have a history of bad tanks like the Firecats had back in the earlier 2000's? If so, does Cat help out with the new tank?
Thanks guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Once it quit dripping, and had sat outside for an hour, we rode for about 100 miles. When we fueled up again, we kept it below the level of the neck and had no fuel leaking anywhere.

482.Ihave a 05 sabrecat .Had same problem took it to 1 dealer he said neck repair had been done so I was S O L .Rode with less gas and had less issues , Came home to ILL had NOVATNEYS look at it ,said he will have CAT replace it .MORAL ,is don't take no for final answer.PS I have 14500 mi on it and still going strong,Dont baby my ride but do take care of it .NOW if I could only get this ROTAR CUFF to heal .(next year for sure the doc says) MEATHEAD

Well, I had the dealer run the VIN. It doesn't show that there are any work orders/repair on demand, or recalls on this sled. So, my next step is to call Arctic Cat and complain nicely, so they'll send me a new tank. If that fails, I'm getting it plastic welded and going to keep my wife riding. Sucks it had to rear it's ugly head on the first trip for the year for her.

So, I call Arctic Cat. The lady tells me that it needs to go to the dealership and then they need to call the technician. So, no matter what I do this isn't going to be cheap. Sonsabitches....... Just angry that this happened in January vs. last March!

booondocker

Yep cat isn't the only one with this issue....had a skidoo with an oil tank cap that went bad....said we over tightened the cap but that should not be the cause of this ever. I believe the fix was pretty easy....combination of hose clamp and epoxy.

I've done some research on just repairing this myself. Has anyone on here done repairs using a soldering gun and filling in the cracked area with melting down cable ties, or similar? What about buying a commercially available plastic tank repair kit? I don't intend to put $800 into the sled and have it tied up for 3 weeks at the dealership. Anyone who has input, it is appreciated.

67rs

bought a used 06 f-6 last year 1200 miles tanks neck cracked took to my local dealer fixed free of charge my 02 zr800cc not so lucky, coated it with jb weld works fine my friend used belzona on his 04 f-7 that worked well i bought another zr 800 cc this year it had a plastic sleeve in it not shure if it came from cat or not. no leaks.

anonomoose

These are manufacturing problems as the plastic thins out at the neck and the seam then will crack in extreme cold....if you have a CAT SLED....be sure not to do more than just snug on the cap....they can't take the torque of plastic to plastic fit (cap to neck threads) so just snug it and you won't have issues. The cork around the top will seal it and if it doesn't have cork...make a rubber or cork gasket and do some preventative measures...rather than face a cracked neck.

YES there are fixes...google CAT SNOMO gas tank neck fixes....and check ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...ic+cat++fuel+tank+filler+neck+repair&_sacat=0

lots of welding materials there that is correct for what you are trying to do. Also a few with the inserts and the repair is cheap and more importantly you don't have to pull the tank to repair it. Follow the instructions carefully as you dont want to be dropping stuff inside the tank to retrieve....just think before you do it....

While CAT is not the only one with these problems...they sure did let the problem go long enough before they figured out it is cheaper to fix in design than pay techs to do it later on. DAH.......

zltim

Cat replaced the tank on my 2006 Saber Cat last year for free. Mine had the fix on the inside as well but the threads gave way and leaked.

Cat dealer in Trego Wi has done a few no charge warranted fixes for me even though I bought it new 2 years old from Cat Country.

Thanks, guys. However, the place it appears to be leaking is actually in the area where the fuel pump goes into the tank. As for twisting and threads-there aren't any on the 2007-2009 for sure. Maybe all the way to current models. They have a lever you press down to open and then just press the cap down to close it. I'm taking it in tonight. I want my wife's sled to work right-and want it back fast. There's snow in the forecast.

Catcaptain

Had my tank replaced on 2007 F6 LXR....Leaked in the same spot at the neck. Cat sent the tank to the dealer for the repair...I still had to pay for service... something like $150 If i remember correct.

I received a call from T.C.R. today. They found the tank had numerous cracks where the fuel pump goes into the tank. They called Arctic Cat. They'll be sending me a new tank-not to arrive until sometim ein February. In the interim, T.C.R. is patching it with epoxy and we should be hitting the trail again very soon. Thanks to T.C.R. for all their fast work on this.