2007 Harley V-Rod Night Rod Special.....Advice/Opinions

fastmax05

I am considering a local purchase on this beautiful machine but would like to hear any and all opinions, good or bad.
Sincerely

I've never ridden a V-Rod, but have heard they are very powerful and a great ride. I rode Yamaha's for 31 years and last year jumped to a Harley Ultra Limited. I'm absolutely amazed at the quality of this bike. Guessing the V-Rod is similar in quality.

cuzzinolaf

I don't know if they are hard to sell but saw a bunch for sale locally over the summer for cheaper than a Sportster.

polarisrider1

I don't know if they are hard to sell but saw a bunch for sale locally over the summer for cheaper than a Sportster.
They are selling for far less than Harley wanted to sell them for. I was told by my dealer it is because, "true Harley guys are not buying into the water cooled bikes as true Harley's. It is a sport/ performance bike for sure. The V Rod is a red headed stepchild that kicks major butt. Market niche is small. Insurance is high." that's how it was put to me. I view it as what a corvette is to Chevrolet. On the edge of the brands name, yet still the brand.

fgsacts

I rented one for a three day weekend once. Don't remember exactly what year it was but it was around 2007. I was thoroughly impressed by the machine. Personally I like them and would own one if I could justify two bikes. They do not hold their value and are harder to sell though. I agree with what Wayne said, they are a niche market bike and do not appeal to the majority of the Harley crowd. They do make aftermarket exhaust systems that greatly improve the sound. They are very fast. Not crotch rocket fast but very impressive none the less. I have a buddy who had a Screamin' Eagle Fat Boy that he thought was fast. We raced and I left him in the dust. It wasn't even a race. If you like the bike and are not concerned about your ability to sell it in the future, then go for it. If you are not prepared to loose money on it or may be in the position that you would have to dump it fast, then I would not buy it. There are a glut of them on the market for a reason. Fun as **** to ride though.

GadsdenGalt

I think it is, without question, the best looking Harley. That Night Rod is beautiful. It also has a great engine in it that Harley co-developed with Porsche. It is the only Harley I would ever own. I also think it is amusing that Harley riders care more about image than performance. Why doesn't everyone still ride fan cooled sleds?

Last edited:
I think it is, without question, the best looking Harley. That Night Rod is beautiful. It also has a great engine in it that Harley co-developed with Porsche. It is the only Harley I would ever own. I also think it is amusing that Harley riders care more about image than performance. Why doesn't everyone still ride fan cooled sleds?

I find your point amusing. I made the same point for 32 years. I can pull my trailer-loaded with me and my wife on board the Harley and get better gas mileage than my daughter and son-in-law on their Valkyrie! I put 8,000 miles on my new Harley last Summer. I cannot believe how solid this bike is compared to all of my Yamaha cycles. I guess my feeling is don't be so certain you wouldn't love the new Harley Davidson 103 motor and frame until you put a few thousand miles on one. I was very nervous spending the money last year to make the switch. Now I can say I wish I would have done it sooner.

polarisrider1

I find your point amusing. I made the same point for 32 years. I can pull my trailer-loaded with me and my wife on board the Harley and get better gas mileage than my daughter and son-in-law on their Valkyrie! I put 8,000 miles on my new Harley last Summer. I cannot believe how solid this bike is compared to all of my Yamaha cycles. I guess my feeling is don't be so certain you wouldn't love the new Harley Davidson 103 motor and frame until you put a few thousand miles on one. I was very nervous spending the money last year to make the switch. Now I can say I wish I would have done it sooner.
Agree totally. No comparision between my Harley and my wifes Kawasaki. Ask Andy (fgsacts) about her bike. He has rode it more than me. I put on 12,000 trouble free mile on last summer on an Evo motored Heritage Springer. Oh and I run Amsoil in it. lol.