2008 Hard starting Yamaha RS VentureGT

wags

Ok so I go to start up the sled and all it does is crank not start at all. I ran the sled about 2 monts ago with no problem. I recall seeing somewhere about removing a gas tank vent tube and blowing into it to prime it a bit so I opened the hood and took one look and figured I would come here to ask if anyone knows which tube I should do this to?? There are so many tubes in there that I don't want to pull the wrong one.

The gas tank is full and topped off with a can of seafoam, the sled only has about 300 miles on it and a fresh battery.

fredster

crank it a while

I have an 07 rage and 08 vector and they are both hard starters after sitting. You have to crank them for what seems like an eternity (probably 30-40 seconds) after summer storage.

Some people pressurize the tank through the vent lines to help force gas past the needles but I don't do that.

Charge battery, full choke, no throttle and crank for an enternity!!!

If no start after 45-60 seconds....pull your plugs and see if they are dry or wet.

vogelm1

The vent tube is right behind the secondary clutch on the left side - it looks like it's plugged right into an aluminum tube on the frame. There will be a pinch clamp you'll need to slide up on the tube with a needle nose pliers. Remove the tube and blow into it as hard as you can, then plug the end of it with your thumb. Crank your choke to full and turn the engine over; it should fire within 5-10 seconds. After it fires you can shut it off (the carb bowls will now be full) and replace the vent tube. Should be good to go. I had the same thing happen going into the second season with my Vector - probably took a few years of life off my starter, LOL.

Last edited:

whitedust

I take care of my bud's 2006 Vector & found best way to start after storage is spray a bit of starting fluild in carbs then half choke & pops right over. Saves on starter cranking. Then I put on rear stand & clear all the crap out always a bog & misses then she clears out as I throttle up & run sled to bake out moisture then idles very smoothly. The injected Attack starts right up as usual not like the carbed engine.

ezra

I think you are just imagining it wont start. from every thing I have read only 2 strokes break down I think it is just so quiet you cant here it run.