2008 Polaris Dragon 700

snowshark94

I am having a problem with my dragon where the headlight is flickering on and off and the rpm is getting very low where it will die, also the electronic gauge keeps resetting itself. I checked compression and I have 125 on both cyclinders. It has a hard time idling. I open the hood and I hear a cliking noise, like something is shortenng out. It definately sounds like an electrical problem. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I do NOT have electric start.

Thanks,
Mike

Dave_B

Sounds like the same problem I had a couple years ago with my D8. It was a ground wire that was shorting out. It ended up frying the CPU and Voltage regulator. Don't start it up! Take the plastic cover off of the clutch cover. All the electronics on mine are located there. Check all the wiring.
Hopefully, yours is set up like mine, which is a 2009, and you should be able to detect anything obvious. I know some of the older IQ's had all the electronics mounted behind the airbox.
Either way, you have an electrical issue that should be easy to fix, just need to sniff it out.
Good luck!
Dave

snowshark94

Thanks Guys,

I am going up this weekend to look into it. Yes, all the electrical is above the belt cover, so should be easy I hope. I was thinking possibly the exhaust valve selenoid because that is where I think I hear the clicking coming from, but would the selonoid cause it to have low rpm and not idle and short out the headlight and gauges?

snowshark94

I cleaned the valves 300 miles ago, I put on new gaskets and springs. I replaced the rubber bellows about 1000 miles ago. I did take off the plastic cover above the clutches to see what was under there (All the electronics) 300 miles ago as well. Is it possible when I put the cover back on I knocked a wire loose under there or pinched a wire, causing it to make a clicking noise ?

snake

had the exact sled up till last year. there was an issue with handwarmers shorting,there was a bulletin. fyi=could be a relay making the clicking noise

kraven700

I am having a problem with my dragon where the headlight is flickering on and off and the rpm is getting very low where it will die, also the electronic gauge keeps resetting itself. I checked compression and I have 125 on both cyclinders. It has a hard time idling. I open the hood and I hear a cliking noise, like something is shortenng out. It definately sounds like an electrical problem. Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? I do NOT have electric start.

Thanks,
Mike

More than likely it's the stator failing

snowshark94

I went to check it out saturday morning and it started and ran fine with no problems. I rode it 30 miles to the polaris dealer and he hooked it up to the computer and it had no codes at all, but they said it might be a relay going bad. I then finished the day off with 185 miles and I had absolutely no problems. How weird is that, it was 15 degrees out when I heard the clicking noise and it ran like crap. Saturday it was 28 degrees out with no problems. Not sure what happened, but it seems fine now.