2008 Ski-Doo 800 Renegade Throttle Cable Sticking

snowshark94

We were in Munising 2 weeks ago and it was snowing heavily and we were off trail going through some awesome powder. The 2008 ski doo renegade throttle cable froze up and was sticking. It would not go back to normal and would stay wide open. After playing with it and smacking it we were able to get the cable to work with no problem. Do you think it was freezing? The rest of us thought we had some bad gas because all the sleds were running like crap. Could water in the gas freeze the throttle cable?

What do you guys think?

thanks,
Mike

groomerdriver

We were in Munising 2 weeks ago and it was snowing heavily and we were off trail going through some awesome powder. The 2008 ski doo renegade throttle cable froze up and was sticking. It would not go back to normal and would stay wide open. After playing with it and smacking it we were able to get the cable to work with no problem. Do you think it was freezing? The rest of us thought we had some bad gas because all the sleds were running like crap. Could water in the gas freeze the throttle cable?

What do you guys think?

thanks,
Mike

Nobody has answered so I'll interject my experiences with throttle cables. Bad gas will not cause a cable problem...at least I've never heard of it in my 30+ years of riding.

You got moisture in the cable via the heavy snow. You can lube the cable but IMO the best fix is to replace the cable with a new one. Seems like in winter, the cable lube never quite makes it all the way down the length of the cable. THe ones I've changed out have been pretty cheap considering what can happen if they are sticky.

Just my .02!

mezz

I would agree with that 100%. Besides, an 08 cable, could have a fray or two in it causing it to hang up if it was not an ice issue. Best bet to change it.-Mezz

snowshark94

So we went through the sled and found some ice chunks in the air box and removed them. We also lubed up the throttle cable a bunch. The cable is working fine. I am thinking it just got frozen from all the snow and freezing temperature.