2008 Ski Doo 800R, Good or Bad or?

nomus5

I'm looking at a used 2008 GSX 800R and am wondering if I can get some comments from some who may have or do still own one. Comments from any 800R owners are welcomed as the chassis and motor are mostly the same.

I understand there are just minor clutching and gearing differences with the GSX compared to an MXZ, and the obvious differences in the suspensions and accessories. I understand that the clutching and gearing differences actually help with a belt wear issue that may have existed on the MXZ's.

Trying to figure out if this is a dependable sled to be buying used or if there were first year woes with the new chassis or any motor issues. Searched on Dootalk and actually didn't find a lot of issues, just seeing if there is some more input on this site.

Please no "my buddy had one of these and they were junk" responses.

THANKS in advance for any input,
Gregg

harvest1121

A lot is going to depend on the miles. They do need a rebuild in that 4000-5000 miles. They do need a clutch brace put on them. I do have one that does not use a lot of oil or gas. Some 2008 have had a lot of problems. Unless you can get a really good deal I might see what a 2009 might cost less problems.

nomus5

THANKS for the input Harvest. It' got 3000 miles. Is the rebuild you talk about if it sticks a piston because of the lean spot in the mid range? I'm hoping to shim the needle if it has not been already. Do you have any additional info on the clutch brace, part #, cost, doo or aftermarket?

THANKS again,
Gregg

cdsprague

I wouldn't worry about a clutch brace! Don't you think if it "needs" one , then BRP would of installed them, or had a recall? You might want to install one if you are going to race the sled as a pro, but I'm not sure if they are even putting them on. I have a 09 800X renegade and jump it like crazy and don't have any problems with belt wear or clutch tower flexing! My sled hooks up real hard also, it has a 1.75 track and 2 tooth drop on the top sprocket.

They are real good motors, easy on gas and oil! You should like it!

harvest1121

This is the reason the 2008's need the clutch brace and the 2009's did not need them. They beefed up the 2009's you think they would of made the 2009's stronger if they were not breaking on the 2008's? It's only a $65 part and is well worth it. I like mine I did put bergstroms on it right away that helped.

cdsprague

This is the reason the 2008's need the clutch brace and the 2009's did not need them. They beefed up the 2009's you think they would of made the 2009's stronger if they were not breaking on the 2008's? It's only a $65 part and is well worth it. I like mine I did put bergstroms on it right away that helped.

Read my post again about "needing" a brace! If it "needs" one there would be a recall!

Furthermore, if you have one on and hit something on the front end, you will "need" a new clutch tower! Hmmm... I wonder how much money that would cost? All the forces will transfer to the clutch tower from a front end hit!

harvest1121

There does not need to be a recall why would they upgrade anything if they would have to recall everything. They have had a well noted problem with the 2008's with alignment and breaking the clutch tower. By your thinking anything that was up graded on 2009 should be recalled on a 2008. Its cheap insurance they have not had any break with the brace but have without the brace so the $65 is good insurance.

Here is the link where I bought it from. I think having a 2008 and reading about more then a 2009 I would know more about a 2008.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=288845&hl=clutch+brace

mjkaliszak

Read my post again about "needing" a brace! If it "needs" one there would be a recall!

Furthermore, if you have one on and hit something on the front end, you will "need" a new clutch tower! Hmmm... I wonder how much money that would cost? All the forces will transfer to the clutch tower from a front end hit!

I would like to comment at this point in the thread..... I have a clutch brace on a 09 for personal reasons. I hit something, did not break my clutch tower, and feel compelled to mention that when you hit something with that chassis " XP " you will have a few more issues to deal with. It doesn't take a hit very well. Brace or No Brace.

id like to jump in...... my 2008 800r had 4500 miles on it and im not a racer and i didnt even go off trail at that time and i pulled the stud threw the tunnel that holds the tower and i snaped the two bolts that hold the tower on.
BRP did fix under warranty with a "patch kit" for the tunnel. kinda funny how they already had a patch kit ready to go, but anyway i had a new tower put on and i bought a tower brace from schmitty on doo talk fo $65. it hooks on the tower and down to the frame, not the shock tower like the others.
the sled has 9700 miles on it and everything is fine and the motor was never rebuilt. i know it was on borrowed time and its getting rebuilt this summer hope this helps.

Motors great, good gas miledge, oil well........its an 800