2009 Honda Pilot 4WD Towing Capacity

blu2u2

Looking at getting a bigger trailer but not sure how my "tow" vehicle will handle an enclosed 3 place with an empty weight of around 2,400 Ibs. Honda's web site states the following: "Maximum towing capacity for 4WD models is 4,500 lbs. Premium unleaded fuel is recommended when towing above 3,500 lbs."
Does anyone have experience with this vehicle and how it handles with heavier loads? Thanks! David

misty_pines

I have a 2006 Honda Pilot with the same 3.5 V6 and the same 5 speed transmission I believe as the 09. I tow a 2 place snowmobile trailer with ease. I also tow a 17" Crestliner Sportfish with a 115 outboard. The boat and trailer are probably around 3000 lbs or a bit more. That is quite a bit heaver that two sleds, but the Pilot still does pretty good. If towing on the freeway with a strong headwind, it does shift more than I would like so I sometimes slow down and take it out of overdrive. It doesn't have a 4th gear so when taking out of overdrive, you have to have it in "3". 60 mph is about the max or the rpms get pretty high. The power is no problems, just have to watch the tranny shifting.

One thing with my Pilot when towing the boat is that I had a fair amount of rear suspension sag so I installed Air Lift brand air bags inside the rear suspension coils and this helped the rear sag a lot.

I think a Pilot should be able to handle a 3 place enclosed trailer although watch your tranny and if shifting too much, take it out of overdrive.

Last edited:

srxsrule

Some things people tow really make me look twice. I have an 08 Pilot and would never tow anything more then a small utility trailer and for sure NOT an enclosed trailer.

Its a mid-size unibody SUV with not much weight to it. You get that thing out on the hwy with some wind blowing and your going to find yourself in trouble real quick. Eric