2010 Assult or M8 sno pro

crash0

I am in the market for a diff ride this year. Currently have an F7 but want a deep sno machine this time. I ride in the UP mostly but might head out west this year. I looked at both sleds yesterday but need more info on these machines. The polaris sales guy was not much help. I have had both polaris and arctic sleds so I'm open to either. Any opinions would help me. Please don't brand bash. That won't help me. (I know the fusion was a lemon)

stealthv

If you're not brand loyal, which dealer will have the better parts and service support after the sale? Sounds like the Poo dealer was - meh.

Then there's the matching gear issue...

With two sequential serial number M8s in the family, I'm kind of biased. =)

mguthrie

You are really comparing two different types of sleds

1) Assualt more for climbing and boon docking. Shorter track with harder durometer and much different lug. Will spin a lot in powder only...lugs don't give.
2) M8 not as good in hard or loose snow but will perform better in powder for climbing carving etc.

If you want to compare Poo to Cat in the same categories

RMK vs M8

Assualt vs HCR

Have fun with it and of course the above is just my simple opinion. I have a M8 sno pro on order. Nothing better then getting a new toy!

zimmbob

crash - I ride Poo, but before I bought my 800 RMK 144, I was looking REALLY hard at the SkiDoo Hillclimb. That thing rips. Or the Summit X 146. The Hillclimb is 154. They are lighter than both the M and the Assault/RMK's. I think they've fixed the problems they had with their motors too (cranks and belts, and something else).

But I think these guys are right. You really need to think about what you want. The Assault is really set up to do big time boondocking, jumping, especially in heavy snow. The trenching in soft new powder will be troublesome if that is where you are riding. Just has to do with the track lug. The shocks are really stiff. The M is a mountain sled. If you want so stick with Polaris, look at the Dragon RMK's. They have the bells and whistles that Assault does, but with a mountain track.

I don't know much about the M's, but I've always thought they seem to be pretty darn good mountain sleds. I just never cared for what appears to be a low seat.

Good luck. Be sure to post what you end up doing.

stealthv

I just never cared for what appears to be a low seat.

New for 2010 models is a 3" taller seat.

Who actually sits on a seat anyhow? Except to take a break? =)

343400924a94104f26084_RGB_72x72gif_low.23695753_std.gif

stealthv

Going from a F7 to a mountain sled is a big change; did that myself several years ago.

If you're not used to riding out West or offtrail in the UP, a crossover may be a good fit for you. A Crossfire 8 is a very versatile sled and if I didn't have so much green blood in my veins, I'd have a Renegade Backcountry X.

m8man

Obviously I think I might be biased but here ya go...I rode yammy's for many years...I bought a new 2007 apex mtn 162" (Mistake) and rode it for a yr and a half...I rode an M8 and then fell in love with it... and wa la m8man was born......I would try to see if you could get a ride on either, at the dealer or through friends or whatever....I never thought I'd ride a cat as my dad bought me a bunch of yammy's when I was younger...You'll never know what ya like till ya try it....Gooooood luck and we can call ya "Catman" or something like that.

m8man

cooksend

Wanna jump and go big go for the Assault. Just remember that it is the most ride specific paddled out machine in the industry! Love mine but it can be a bit tough to handle when climbing through the trees. Wanna beet the ditches and pound the powerlines and it is second to none!!! IMO I have friends on M's and they are super flickable. Real easy to ride!

You will love whatever you buy. Pride in ownership is a great thing!

crash0

Thanks guys, this is the exact info I need. Keep it coming. I have a 1.7 track and powder hounds on my f7. I do ride 80% offtrail in the UP. Someone made a comment about test riding them. I feel this would help me make the $12000 purchase easy. I live in the west metro of minneapolis. Where can I test drive once sno permits. Every new sled I have ever bought I never test rode. I always wondered if I should have bought the other model insted of the one I bought. Dealers in my area are (tri-k, delano sprts, waconia farm supply, and diggerz. )

snoluver1

I find the x/fire to be a little better fit for the Yoop. The shorter track is nice for boondocking through the tight trees you find there. They are more than capable of taking you through any powder you can find up there, and work a little better on the dreaded trails you are forced to ride to get to the play spots. I have also taken it out west and have no problem keeping up with the M's. I look at it like a factory built "great lakes special". Just my opinion, take it for what its worth.

ls1nova

I would go down to Waconia Farm Supply, they seem to have lots of parts in stock and have good service from what Ive heard. A couple guys there frequent the UP offtrail too.
I have not ridden other models but I like my M series and from what people are saying the 10' 800 is the best M yet.

stealthv

If you're 80% off trail in the UP now with the F7, stop in at Waconia this afternoon, talk to Dean and bring home a M8.

There, made the two hardest decisions for you -- Now all you have to decide is standard or Sno Pro.

P.S. Dean is supposed to be finding me a '10 M8 LE...So you better not come home with mine. =)

snoluver1

I should also mention, I am talking about 09-10 x/fire with the 141 track and sno-pro with the fox float skid. Its basicly a 141 M except you get a larger fuel tank, larger cooler and some extra supports/bracing. Also they make the powerclaw in a 141, although you would have to purchase seperatly.

crash0

I did stop into wacconia on Thursday. Super helpful sales staff. I talked with a younger guy and he knows his stuff. I would buy from him. The cross fire is deffinatly an option. The track will be the deciding factor between M and crosfire. I'm in st cloud today so I will stop at bristows and miller.

favoritos

I test rode a 2010 M. They are lowend torque monsters. Almost too much if that is even possible. I have been running an 09 Crossfire and there is no comparison. You really should try to get in a test ride.

mfire8

I agree with snoluver the crossfire is a great all around sled and in the future you can always purchase a different track if needed the cobra track is excellent track example: it high marked better than a yammi with a 153 he made it first time yammi took 15 tries imo crossover is a better choice.

ezra

hay crash you live buy me I am in mound if you wanna go find some deep ditches we can ride and you can ride my xfire with sway bar disconcerted it is a seven but is the same power as a 8 now would give you a idea of the m chasi.if we get snow I have a 2in for it.not the same as a m8 but better than nothing.I will tell you I ride with a bud with a assault and he was trenching way more than me hr got a new track this yr

ezra

btw waconia has a few "demos"they take west and if they thought you were really looking they would prob let you run one down 371

kimmer

I have an 08 m8 and i love it. I rode two rmk's and a summit. My M, i think is easy to carve with compare to summit even though its lighter. I also jump with it dont seem to have a proplem with it, so good luck on your venture.