2015 Polaris Axys Skid Removal

mike1970

Hi All. Anyone know of any good how-to videos on removing the rear suspension skid on a Polaris Axys? I've searched high and low on YouTube and don't see anything pertaining to this sled.
At first glance, it doesn't look terribly difficult, but I don't want to get into it and struggle or miss an easy step or tip.

Thanks!
Mike

srt20

If its not the beaver tail, its the same as any other skid. If its the beaver tail, its the same as the Pro chassis beaver tail.

mezz

Google "Polaris skid removal", there are videos & information there for you. The first one up to bat is 12:22 in length & is on an Axys. Hope this helps & it goes well for you.

Last edited:

600_RMK_144

Videos will get you most of the way. Honestly, the last time I pulled a skid (earlier this fall), I tried for the first time the "put the sled on it's side" technique and was absolutely surprised how much easier it made it! I have a hoist in the shop and previously had always tried to just raise / lower the tunnel to line-up the holes. Never worked and I nearly killed myself to get it done. Finally decided to give the other method a shot and it was SO DAMN EASY! It's all about taking gravity out of the equation! Put the sled on one side, tension bolts on the skid all the way forward, grab the skid, get the front up into position then jockey around to get the rear into the track rails as well. A block of wood or something that you can set the rear of the skid on is helpful while doing this (gets everything at a similar angle). Front skid bolts ALWAYS go first. You can use your leg to move the skid and /or tunnel around to get the front bolt holes lined up. Get the front bolt started, then get your rear hole lined up and bolt started. Flip the sled onto it's other side and do the same. Some recommend releasing spring tension on the rear (if you have torsion springs) but I prefer to use a ratchet strap to compress the rear. You can keep ratcheting until the rear skid holes are perfectly lined up. Just be very careful releasing the tension on the strap once you are bolted up. Don't forget to re-grease the zerks once installed.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

mike1970

Google "Polaris skid removal", there are videos & information there for you. The first one up to bat is 12:22 in length & is on an AxysHope this helps & it goes well for you.
Thanks Mezz. I've done that and other searches. The video you reference is a mountain sled and doesn't have the beaver tail suspension with external rear shock like I have.
I've pulled many other Polaris skids and always lay my sled on the side now too. Much easier. Like I said, at first glance, it doesn't look that hard but I just don't want to miss something as this sled is relatively new to me.