2015 ZR9000

lofsfire

So I noticed a weird sound when I shut my sled off the other day. I don't know if I just never noticed it before or something's up. Here's a link to a video so you can hear it for yourself. It does this whenever you turn the key off. Doesn't matter if the sleds completely running or just the key in the on position.

Seems to either be coming from the right hand side (If sitting on the sled) or near the fuel tank. I was possibly thinking the fuel pump?

Just changed the original battery 2 months ago, after changing it died a month later. Battery tested as no good and it was replaced under warranty. I don't remember hearing the sound until starting it up the other day. Maybe it's done it all the time maybe not I was hoping somebody else had a similar sled and could verify.

I have a ZR5000 as well and it does not make this noise when shutting it off.

mezz

I'm guessing here, but, it almost sounds like the starter is trying to engage when you shut off the key. Does it do the same thing if you hit the kill switch? No matter what, that is not normal.

snowfish

Your reverse actuator gear is stripped.
Machine defaults to forward gear upon shut down.
Even though your in the forward gear, at shut down, the machine "checks" to be sure it is.
Here's mine.

I "re-clocked" the gear so it would engage on fresh teeth.

Worked fine for the rest of the season.
Following season I replaced the reverse actuator. The updated version has a metal gear.
No, the metal gear is not available separately.
One has to get the entire actuator.

lofsfire

Thanks for both replies. After seeing the video and hearing Snowfish's videos. I thinking that is the problem. Also with being point in that direction I found a thread over on HCS talking about the same issue.

(If you're interested take a look at that HCS link one of the post says the motor is actually a Saturn window motor. They also give a way to bypass it.)

I checked County Cat and part 0630-347 is $180. Googled the part number and found dealercostparts.com withe same part for $117.61. Which it first sounded too good to be true, Or at least be a legitimate website. Then I found their address and phone number and did a little searching and it turns out to be Ziggler Motorsports in Kalamazoo. So once I get home tonight I'll check it out and confirm that's the part I need and get the new one ordered up.

mezz

I would say he (snowfish) hit the nail on the head. It helps when you have direction from someone who has actually had the issue. Good luck on the parts pricing, just make sure it is the up-graded actuator.

lofsfire

I would say he (snowfish) hit the nail on the head. It helps when you have direction from someone who has actually had the issue. Good luck on the parts pricing, just make sure it is the up-graded actuator.
So when I got home from work today I took the side panel off and sure enough you could hear plain as day that it was the reverse actuator motor. You could also feel it vibrating. So yes he sure did hit the nail on the head! I will say, after reading what he wrote and then finding that other article I was pretty confident that was the problem. So I ended up ordering the part. I ordered the upgraded part number from dealercostparts.com which is definitely Ziggler Motorsports.

I actually forgot to order another part for my son's sled that I've been putting off until I had something that would cover the shipping cost on it. It wasn't really something I needed, I was just tired of looking at a missing cap. Anyways when I ordered it I called them to see if it could be added to the order which they did and still send everything out today. When they sent me the new receipt it actually had Ziggler Motorsports on it.

Just for follow-up I'll try to take some pictures when I take it apart and put it back together in case somebody else has the problem.

So thanks a lot snowfish!

lofsfire

My part showed up today and it took about 10 minutes to change it out. As for more pictures, there really wasn't much to see unless you completely took the gearbox apart. I know above it was talked about indexing the worn out gear. Which can easily be done. But you will need a set of snap ring pliers. If you had to do it on the side of the trail it really wouldn't be that bad just don't lose any parts. With that said I'll probably at some point index my old one and just put it on the shelf to have in case I need it. But I did check the new one and it has the metal gear inside so hopefully I shouldn't have any problems now. Heck maybe I'll mount it to the bottom side of my tonneau cover on my truck and make it actuate the lock mechanism for the tonneau cover. Then I wouldn't need a key anymore. 😁

Again thanks for the help. Now if I can chase down a very, very small grounding issue on my trailer I'd be all set! Something's grounding out in my trailer and whatever it is is very small because it only trips the GFCI in my garage. So it must be a single strand of wire making contact somewhere. But it's driving me absolutely insane for the last few weeks!