2016 Viper idle / starting issues

I've got 61xx miles on this sled and on my last trip, the last morning, the sled started fine but ran at a slightly high idle while warming up. Actually it didn't come back to a normal idle until I shut it off and re-started it. The sled then ran great until later in the day. Started again after a brief stop and it idled low, around 1000 rpm. At one point, it wouldn't stay running at all unless I feathered the throttle. Yesterday I started it just to move it and it started very hard. Very strange and seems like it might be electrical but it didn't display any codes. Just curious if any of you fellow Viper owners have experienced similar issues and what you found to be the cause.
As always, thank you for any knowledge you can share.

heckler56

Check “Totally Yamaha” forum. Vipers have known software issues. My 2015 started great until they forced me to get the software updated in December 2017. Than on a cold morning start, bam, sounded like a weapon went off. Blow the muffler apart. Yamaha replaced the ecu but my season was over by the time it got repaired. Sled was sold by the beginning of the next season.

snowfish

I'd lay odds on tight valves. Mine did the same thing at about the same mileage.
I know the book says "check valves at 20,000 miles".
That's an out right lie.
Vipers & 7000 series Arctic's valves start getting tight in less than 10,000 miles. Some much less.
Mine at 6400, yours showing symptoms at 6100, and many others on TY4Stroke.
If you're out of warranty, it's going to be a pretty big hit.
Sorry to be the barer of bad news. But it's the true.

harvest1121

So I had a 2015 that started about 12.000 Dad has a 2015 that is starting to show it at 5000. My 2017 has 11,000 miles and no sign of it. Its a big job to shim the motor.

Thanks for all the info, everyone. I have never had this sled re-flashed. Also, I started this sled the other day and it was perfect - no issues at all. Can a valve issue be intermittent like this? Seems odd to me that it could be.
Thanks again

harvest1121

Its usually on warm starts that you have the issue. All 3 of my Vipers have started different. Some like to be cycled but my 2017 I just turn key and starts first or second try. The flash on both 2015's seemed to make them worse,