2016 zr 7000 el tigre weak starts

Special K

I have a 2016 ZR 7000 El Tigre (yamaha 1049 motor). Love everything about it, it's got 5000 miles on it now. Only issue is, when I first start it cold, it fires right away but idles low, and eventually dies. I need to give it just a little gas until it's warmed up a bit, then it's fine. Once it's warm, no issues ever, however as you can imagine this is annoying. And if you've ever ridden a yamaha or cat with the 1049 Yammie motor, you know it should purr like a kitten. What am I looking at here, a fuel pump issue? Any ideas?

snowfish

Sounds like symptoms of tight valves. Mine did the same at 6200 miles.
Just google...
Yamaha 1049 tight valves
Common issue after Yamaha's collaboration with Arctic.
When you adjust the valves, set them to the loose side of spec.

Special K

Sounds like symptoms of tight valves. Mine did the same at 6200 miles.
Just google...
Yamaha 1049 tight valves
Common issue after Yamaha's collaboration with Arctic.
When you adjust the valves, set them to the loose side of spec.

I'm not the kind of guy who can do a valve adjustment on my own machine, sounds like a pretty spendy issue if I bring it into a dealer right?

mrbb

I'd also have valves checked, and also, have you had all the latest reflashes done? I know between 2016 and now they had a bunch of things

Special K

I had reflashes done, although I am not 100% confident my dealer knew what they were doing. Needless to say I don't go there anymore. I had a 2013 XF1100 lxr, and it is acting the same way that sled did when it needed a valve adjustment. That was the 4 stroke suzuki, needed an adjustment at 5000 miles.

jackdog

I had reflashes done, although I am not 100% confident my dealer knew what they were doing. Needless to say I don't go there anymore. I had a 2013 XF1100 lxr, and it is acting the same way that sled did when it needed a valve adjustment. That was the 4 stroke suzuki, needed an adjustment at 5000 miles.

Sounds like its time for a valve adjustment. Most if not all of these 4 strokes will need the adjustment between 5-7,000 miles. Day's Power Sports in Bloomer, Wi will get it done for a fair price.

whitedust

I sure wouldn’t let just anyone adjust my valves and highly doubt that’s your problem Yamahas can go a lot longer than that more like 10k miles plus. I’m thinking something simple have your Tors checked. Misadjusted tors can cause quirky stuff and not serious at all.

WorkHardPlayHrd

Sounds like its time for a valve adjustment. Most if not all of these 4 strokes will need the adjustment between 5-7,000 miles. Day's Power Sports in Bloomer, Wi will get it done for a fair price.

Will double down on Days. They know what they are doing, and are fair about the price.