2021 Trail Openings?

bayfly

While conditions will undoubtedly be less than ideal, does anyone have suggestions for riding this coming weekend (12/4)? I have to make a trip UP this weekend anyway and just wondering if it would pay to pull the sleds along for a quick ride. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

pclark

Most counties in Wisconsin don't open until 12/15/21 due to insurance, hunting seasons. Not sure about the UP.

bayfly

Sorry I should have been more clear. My question about trail openings and conditions is limited to the Upper Peninsula (Michigan).

Thanks.

bayfly

I did not haul up sleds and don’t regret it. But I did stop at the Sidnaw Bar and was told by the bartender that 2 different groups of sledders stopped for gas on Saturday. Apparently those trails were rideable. There appeared to be about 6” - 8” on the ground and it was snowing. The forecast looks good for this week. I’m hoping to get back UP on Saturday for a first ride.

attakman

My buddy is up in Twin Lakes right now, and is riding in 10-12 inches of fresh snow....also another friend of mine who lives in Ironwood said they got 12- 16 inches over night last night

bayfly

We ended up riding trails on Saturday morning in the Michigamme area. It was well worth the drive UP there. we didn’t see another sled for the first 4 hours and probably saw less than 10 sleds all day. I think it was the best trail riding that I have experienced in my 20+ years of riding.
. 2B88D1CE-D9E9-4E4B-BAB1-E9EA7D7F6AD1.jpeg

pclark

Not sure what will happen here in Vilas after todays weather but we will take a hit today, temperature is already 36 at 5am and foggy. Calling for 52 and rain tonight before falling temps after midnight. Have to get through 18 hours before some cold starts coming back in.

bayfly

In some areas this warmup may be helpful to create a base. Although it may eliminate the snow all together in some parts. The areas we rode Saturday had nothing for base. Spinning the track got to dirt in a hurry. So compressing the snow there followed by colder temps and more snow might be just what is needed in some areas. I have a place in Price county and they may be starting all over after this warmup. Any rain with this would be even worse. I saw where Marinette County announced the closure of all their trails. This includes their ORV trails also. I don’t think their snowmobile trails were even open before the closure announcement. Hope for the best!

whitedust

Rest assured there won’t be grooming anywhere until trails set back up. Can’t have groomers stuck in this soup and only would make conditions worse. It may take awhile before trail bosses approve release of grooming teams. I know I wouldn’t until I was sure groomers could do some good. Also have to be concerned about high winds. Guaranteed trees will be down all over. Season is early lots of snow and we will get there just need to wait it out many weeks of good riding ahead.

goofy600

Rest assured there won’t be grooming anywhere until trails set back up. Can’t have groomers stuck in this soup and only would make conditions worse. It may take awhile before trail bosses approve release of grooming teams. I know I wouldn’t until I was sure groomers could do some good. Also have to be concerned about high winds. Guaranteed trees will be down all over. Season is early lots of snow and we will get there just need to wait it out many weeks of good riding ahead.
Agree completely. The high wind is going to be a real problem for my club, we have a few areas with a lot of dead fall issues that will need to be addressed after the fact. We are also hoping to get extra money next year to do proper cleaning of these areas. So come Friday and the weekend anyone that ones out watch out for trees.

nhra1000

Really nervous about the winds they are talking....living in a sea of tall pines makes me a little nervous...And like you said its gonna take some clean up on the trails...

whitedust

Really nervous about the winds they are talking....living in a sea of tall pines makes me a little nervous...And like you said its gonna take some clean up on the trails...
My Bud in Sayner loses power in a stiff wind for days on end. Phelps was ok some of our power was under ground but in a good blow the open areas on Kentuck Lake Road would go down same area every outage. If it blows as forecasted trees are going down.