3.0 Baby Duramax

Sweep800

I believe mine 2020 Sierra AT4 with standard bed is 9300 max tow, like I said I avoid trailering as such as possible(ever since we spun a loaded 4 place around on I 90 heading home some years back) lol

I think they have upped max tow to around 10k now tho.

chunk06

I work with a few people who have them and they all talk about getting great MPG, same thing with the Ram Eco, I can't believe they are discontinuing that engine. I just bought a 2022 HD model, Im also concerned about the reliability of having a "covid" vehicle, you hear bad things about all of them. My 16 Ram was flawless, but it was time to upgrade.

tjmaxx

You might have to look at a Duramax. As of January 2023, they quit making the EcoDiesel Ram 1500. (That's the rumor mill. I am sure you can find one on a lot somewhere.)
Yes that's true. I have a laramie night edition but I was thinking about upgrading to the limited night edition with a 2023 so I can have the auto air suspension and a few other goodies. We'll see

scoobydoo

I drive a 22 3 liter, only have 12 000 miles on it and so far so good. Happy with the fuel economy and very smooth running. Just filled th Def the 2nd time. My first daily driver diesel and am pretty happy. Last truck was a 3.5 eco boost and that was a very nice truck and more power for sure, but this thing gets at least 10gal more mpg. I wish it had a bigger fuel tank though.

old abe

I drive a 22 3 liter, only have 12 000 miles on it and so far so good. Happy with the fuel economy and very smooth running. Just filled th Def the 2nd time. My first daily driver diesel and am pretty happy. Last truck was a 3.5 eco boost and that was a very nice truck and more power for sure, but this thing gets at least 10gal more mpg. I wish it had a bigger fuel tank though.
Yeah, well, you're lovin the price of that diesel fuel, eh! o_O

old abe

diesel was $2.25 when I bought my truck. So yes it sucks a little, but still cheaper to run than my 3/4 ton 6 liter v8.
Yeah, well, sadly the days of cheap diesel fuel are gone. I have a hard time of pricing, buying my diesel fuel now days. More storage needed as Bulk delivery can vary $0.30 to $0.50, or more inside of a weeks time. $0.30 in a few days even.

Sweep800

Yeah, well, sadly the days of cheap diesel fuel are gone. I have a hard time of pricing, buying my diesel fuel now days. More storage needed as Bulk delivery can vary $0.30 to $0.50, or more inside of a weeks time. $0.30 in a few days even.
Don’t know your definition of cheap but it’ll come down eventually, always does. Maybe not to $2.25 but it will. In 2014 it was just south of $4.00 according to the internet! Lol!

heckler56

Yes that's true. I have a laramie night edition but I was thinking about upgrading to the limited night edition with a 2023 so I can have the auto air suspension and a few other goodies. We'll see
Riding buddy had the Ram baby diesel but sold it last year. Everytime in the winter he would leave Munising it would go into lip mode. Escanaba shop would bring it in for a hour to warm it up, then fine to Iowa. Known issue with the engine having some exterior part that freezes (like some BMWs) and there is no known repair other than garaging it.

old abe

Don’t know your definition of cheap but it’ll come down eventually, always does. Maybe not to $2.25 but it will. In 2014 it was just south of $4.00 according to the internet! Lol!
Yeah, well, I do agree Sweep800. The market ups, and downs will always be there. The world market demand dictates prices we have now days. The demand for diesel is not going to go down, baring a major economic issue, such as world wide recession. Especially so for the "retail spread" between Diesel and Gasoline. As world Economies rebound, Diesel demand becomes much greater, as transportation demands increase.

scoobydoo

Its less money to run the diesel than my gas motor was. The truck itself was i believe a 995 dollar option so i dont know how it will all work out in the long run. Im fortunate that it is a company truck so i didnt have a choice in the matter, however i do like it so far.

latner

Riding buddy had the Ram baby diesel but sold it last year. Everytime in the winter he would leave Munising it would go into lip mode. Escanaba shop would bring it in for a hour to warm it up, then fine to Iowa. Known issue with the engine having some exterior part that freezes (like some BMWs) and there is no known repair other than garaging it.
Wonder if they tried changing whatever relays it might have, like how some freeze on the sleds? Just a WAG!

old abe

Its less money to run the diesel than my gas motor was. The truck itself was i believe a 995 dollar option so i dont know how it will all work out in the long run. Im fortunate that it is a company truck so i didnt have a choice in the matter, however i do like it so far.
Full size 3/4 ton, and up trucks Diesel option engine is $4,900 and up cost.

Sweep800

we rented a Toyota Proace passenger van in Iceland a couple weeks ago and it was diesel. A good majority of the vehicles were either diesel or electric. The small compact cars were gas(petrol as they say) lol

srt20

I just got back from Denver driving a 21 GMC with a 3.0 baby max. Was pulling a 29ft trailer with 3 sleds in it. My first time driving a 1/2 ton diesel. I gotta say I was very impressed. Excellent power and IMO very respectable mpg. To be honest, I was very impressed with the truck overall. Didn’t have any weight distribution or sway hitch and the truck handled it way above expectations. The OEM trailer sway programming is spot on. Was very windy on way back staying just ahead of this latest storm.

Normally wouldn’t drive that far with a 1/2 ton without proper hitch, but we usually use a 2500 to tow. But some POS stole the truck in Denver and my buds brother had to drive out from WI to rescue us.

euphoric1

I just got back from Denver driving a 21 GMC with a 3.0 baby max. Was pulling a 29ft trailer with 3 sleds in it. My first time driving a 1/2 ton diesel. I gotta say I was very impressed. Excellent power and IMO very respectable mpg. To be honest, I was very impressed with the truck overall. Didn’t have any weight distribution or sway hitch and the truck handled it way above expectations. The OEM trailer sway programming is spot on. Was very windy on way back staying just ahead of this latest storm.

Normally wouldn’t drive that far with a 1/2 ton without proper hitch, but we usually use a 2500 to tow. But some POS stole the truck in Denver and my buds brother had to drive out from WI to rescue us.
curious... what does the " OEM trailer sway programming" actually do to compensate when it occurs? soooooo wish I had that on my truck heading back from last trip!!

srt20

curious... what does the " OEM trailer sway programming" actually do to compensate when it occurs? soooooo wish I had that on my truck heading back from last trip!!
Not positive, but pretty confident that it applies the brakes on whichever wheel it needs to, to stop the sway and straighten out the truck. It was pretty impressive.
A big gust would hit the trailer, the truck would get pushed. Usually you have to compensate or “fight” it, right? With this, never had to move the steering wheel. The truck would just come back immediately. Not fighting it whatsoever ever. Much less tiring.

Don’t get me wrong though, it’s still not as stable as a heavy duty. Your body still sways in the truck even if you dont have to fight the wheel.

euphoric1

heavy duty doesn't matter I have a 27' enclosed steel frame trailer and a 1 ton diesel truck, wind was blowing over highway and at one point could see entire side of trailer in side view mirror, was pooping bricks, so even having heavy duty or plenty enough weight wasn't enough. I was curious if it did something with steering or brakes, that's a nice feature, something like traction control you can turn on and off I would assume? makes sense to utilize brakes as any steering intervention may result in panic.