3 sleds on a 10' trailer?

Hoosier

We have a 10' open aluminum trailer. It's in storage right now. Is is possible/safe to put 3 sleds on a 10' trailer by putting the 3rd sled on backwards in the middle? Anyone tried this? All 3 of the sleds in question are 121".

We'll probably end up upgrading the trailer this year but wondered if we could get by with the 10' trailer for this season.

dondoo

We used to do that with older sleds but the windshield had to be removed on the reverse sled or it would get ripped off from the wind.

Don"t know how it would work with newer sleds.

doo

edmarino

you can do it but it will be a white knuckle drive, keep your speed down and your tires in good condition. I had done this for a while until I got smart and upgraded to a 4 place trailer.

legend02

Depends on the sleds and if you have a salt shield or not. We put a 96 Formula Z, 91 Jag 440 and a 91 Arctic cat 550 on a 10 foot two years ago with no issue, the ski's need to stick off the front and sled riding reverse skis hang off the back.

wiggsfive

I did this for two seasons; I had a 05 Rev, 02 Polaris and a 95 Phazer. Instead of putting one backward (tried it, pain in the butt) I bought a cheap aluminum ramp from Pep boys and loaded the sleds sideways. I also mounted a 2x6 on the back of the trailer to help hold the last ski back from the edge. The biggest Issue I had was the tongue weight was a bit much with the first sled sitting up so far.

garageguy

I have had a 3 place Chilton trailer for many years. 10.5 long, 8.2 wide. Single axel,third sled goes back wards with a cover on. New sleds never a problem, Takes two with a good effort to load the third. Pulls great down the road at any speed.

dmsrx

I put three sleds on my 10' Featherlite. SRX facing forward with the ski spindle near the edge, XTC on the same. Venture went on backwards (used the reverse) with a wood block under the track to hold the rear up over the running boards. Used covers on all three and never had a problem with the windshield on the Venture. I am in central Indiana so I put alot of miles on for two years this way. Have an enclosed 4 place now.

Hoosier

We don't have a salt shield so we can move the front two sleds forward a little. Sounds like it would be worth trying at least to see how it loads up.

zltim

If the rear facing sled has a fragile or tall windshield, stuff a pillow or something on the dash to take the wind pressure off the windshield.

flying_low

I use to do this on a 10' steel Chilton trailer. The last time I tried it I made it to Michigan for a weekend trip. On the way home I don't know what happened, if the tire blew first or if the bearings went out. Either way we were stuck on the side of the highway close to Gladstone for three hours while someone else came up with another trailer to haul the sleds home. The failure was not due to lack of maintenance. I will not attempt this again. Check your axle and tire maximum loads. That should answer your question.