4 stroke tz1 mileage

i have an 09 tz1 non turbo with 6800 miles. ive been getting only 12.5mpg. what have you guys been getting with your tz1 or just plain 4 stoke in general? i havent really been riding it that hard either. me and my wife together are about 250 lbs. were not a lot of load on the sled and im not really pushing it that hard maybe 35mph ish for an average. is there anything i can do to improve my mpg? i do always run premium fuel with no ethonol

anonomoose

All my sleds are 4 stroke and my cats get right around 20 (non-turbo) and my polaris turbo will get about 14-18 depending upon what I am doing. Even my Turbo Z got mid teens.

You sound like your not trying to burn the trail up, so you might want to get serious about figuring out what is wrong.

Make sure the clutch isn't worn out...same with the belt. Then take a look at the ratio in the gear box and see where you are at compared with newer sleds. It is possible that you could change the gearing and get 3 or more mpg better without losing significant power.

4 strokes are noted for their great gas mileage compared to 2 strokers....though newer two smokers have vastly improved the mileage. Over all I prefer the 4 stroke for power ride and reliability....and gas mileage. I expect to have mine for years.

lvr1000

12.5 seems horrible mileage for the way your riding it. Recently rode my wife's 07 ( 9200miles) and rode it pinned 50% of the time and still got 13.5. I have found over the years it does better on 87, especially starting when it's -20. As a side note, my full blown modded EXT turbo gets 17 when the wife gets 14 on her 07 (she is a throttle junkie).

Al15

At least I’m not the only one.
My 2010 TZ1 with 700 mi. barely gets 10mpg. Two heavy old folks aboard. Usually poking along 25-35mph. Although I did have up to 65 the other day crossing the lake.
Tried regular and Premium N/E and the mileage doesn’t vary.
Three salesmen I spoke with at different dealers all say I should get 15-18.
I spoke with two service managers (again different dealers) and they said 10 is not uncommon and really offered no suggestions.
My rpm is 5500@35mph. Does that sound right?

lvr1000

My rpm is 5500@35mph. Does that sound right?

Maybe plowing 6 inches of heavy wet snow going up hill. What shape is your belt in? How do you got it shimmed? On the wife's non turbo makes a huge difference on MPG (2-3) and top end. Both my turbos get better MPG than the wife's non turbo when running together. That is because she is pushing hers while I am just cruising. At 5500rpm on a grade my ext runs about 75 cause the Diamond drive is geared up.

Al15

Thank you for the response.

This is my third season with this sled. In the past we haven’t had the opportunity to ride much. Now were retired and the plan was to ride daily. However as you know lack of snow has put a hold on that. Had it in for service in Nov. and told belt is good.
I don’t know how the clutch is set up. However it came from the dealer and it was new w/ zero miles.
The two of us are close to 400lbs and we only ride the trails and they are quite hilly. The sled does seem to run great. No bog, no jerky start. No lack of power. Climbs the hills with ease. If you pin it cruising at 35mph it will snap your head back.
Next time I’m get on the lakes doing 65 I’ll try to get the nerve to look down at the tach.

What concerns me also is the lack of range with the 10 gal fuel tank.
I was getting 13-14 mpg with my 02 Panther 570 2-up. The guy I ride with guess 15 with his Venture Lite.
I don’t get why the service managers I spoke with offered no suggestions and implied that it was normal.
Thanks again for your reply.

Wyelde

I used to have the exact same sled, 2009 TZ1 na. I would average about 16-17 MPG when riding on groomed trails. Mileage would drop substantially when I got offtrail, or even into loose snow on the trail. Besides looking into the clutches, be aware that AC recommends a valve adjustment every 5000 miles. If that has not been done on your sled, it could be your problem. Also, I also ran my track tension looser than the recommended spec. If you have your track real tight, it will reduce your mileage. You want it just tight enough so that it doesn't ratchet. For me, that was about 1.5-2" hanging slack in the middle when the back end was lifted

79_srx

I have a friend that had one ,he got 10-12 mpg and i was running 08 xp 800 carb that was getting 18 ! boy that pissed him off, so he went out and got 600 etec