509 sinister goggles

Football coach

Been out twice this past weekend with a new pair of 509 sinisters so far so good I have had no issues yet. Good seal with no air leakage and the vision was good up to this point.

dafuzz

Best goggles you can buy for sledding, bar none. I've used many different goggles including some that were very high end but always had fogging issues. Previous favorite goggle was Oakley Wisdom with a fan but the fan now sits in my toolbox since theres no need with 509s. Tried Aviators too but they didn't fit my face and/or helmet, Aviators were also very well made but just didn't fit. Sinisters are the best goggles you'll every use!

ezra

I have had a set of black ops {same thing just have a steel 509 tag on strap] for 2 yrs now Love them!
I also had the aviators and they did not fit my klim helmet with a good seal.sold em

vmax1994

I just bought some Sinister goggles. Tried them out once and so far so good. I also tried the Aviators but with no luck like the others. The Aviators seemed really narrow and I don't have a big head....except after a couple of cocktails :p

Modman440

I have a pair of sinister and aviators. And i absolutly love them both but i also have two pairs of scott xi turbo flow and there awsome

lmuch21

I tried my new pair this weekend with my AFX helmet and a No-fog and loved the goggles. With the chrome finish and yellow tint the sun was never a problem and aside from Sunday morning, had very good snow definition. Also, plenty warm and comfortable and very minimal foggy issues (cleared up right away after I hit the throttle).

zimmbob

Just ordered a pair off of eBay. Happy to see the good reviews! Got a free DVD with it too (509 Vol 7). CycleCountry $68. Thought that was a heck of a deal.

misty_pines

I also got a pair of 509 Sinister Goggles. Got them for Christmas after leaving Santa a hint. Gave them a short couple mile test run and they seemed to work great and fit very well with my AFX FX-17 helmet.

xc500mod

I tried my new pair this weekend with my AFX helmet and a No-fog and loved the goggles. With the chrome finish and yellow tint the sun was never a problem and aside from Sunday morning, had very good snow definition. Also, plenty warm and comfortable and very minimal foggy issues (cleared up right away after I hit the throttle).

I am really in need of a new helmet. Currently I am using a polaris OEM from 2005 with a full shield that is not electric.

I've been doing my research and from what I can tell the 509 helmets are AFX helmets with fancy 509 logos, is this true? Also do the AFX motocross helmets requiring goggles come equipped for snow? or would I need to get extra inserts? If my research is correct, you can save about $100 on just getting the AFX helmet vs the 509. I could use that $100 to get an extra pair of 509 goggles that would fit that helmet nicely.

Or should I go with the electric shield helmet? I have the unique ability to fog up helmets, sunglasses, goggles, etc. And if there is one thing i absolutely hate, it's fogged up glass/plastic in my face.

thanks for the opinions.

Dave_B

I've tried on jst about every helmet out there. I seem to have a larger than normal melon and the only helmet that fit AND was comfortable was the HJC snowcross. I had a pair of Scott goggles but they did not fit the helmet well. Just bought the CastleX Sabatoge goggles and they seal up perfectly. These are also considered over the glasses goggles and have good ventilation so fogging shouldn't be a issue.

Point is, try on and find the helmet that fits you best, then find the goggles that fit best with that helmet.

Dave

hoffmansledder

xc500mod, you have heard correct. The new 509's are the same mold as the AFX. I just bought the 509 carbon fiber helmet which is really cool, but 2 of my friends have the AFX helmets and in a side by side comparison they are the same mold. Save the $200 on the 509 logo if you think you want to change. Their goggle are nice though

xc500mod

xc500mod, you have heard correct. The new 509's are the same mold as the AFX. I just bought the 509 carbon fiber helmet which is really cool, but 2 of my friends have the AFX helmets and in a side by side comparison they are the same mold. Save the $200 on the 509 logo if you think you want to change. Their goggle are nice though

Hoffmansledder thanks! Did their afx helmets come equipped for snow?

xc500mod

I also got a pair of 509 Sinister Goggles. Got them for Christmas after leaving Santa a hint. Gave them a short couple mile test run and they seemed to work great and fit very well with my AFX FX-17 helmet.

Sorry to double post, but I have to get a helmet soon and need to know if I should order the cold weather breath box.

I ordered an AFX FX-17 helmet, 509 sinister night vision goggles, and a klim balaclava.

Hopefully this keeps me warm and prevents fogging.

thanks all, xc500mod

F8SnoPro

I am really in need of a new helmet. Currently I am using a polaris OEM from 2005 with a full shield that is not electric.

I've been doing my research and from what I can tell the 509 helmets are AFX helmets with fancy 509 logos, is this true? Also do the AFX motocross helmets requiring goggles come equipped for snow? or would I need to get extra inserts? If my research is correct, you can save about $100 on just getting the AFX helmet vs the 509. I could use that $100 to get an extra pair of 509 goggles that would fit that helmet nicely.

Or should I go with the electric shield helmet? I have the unique ability to fog up helmets, sunglasses, goggles, etc. And if there is one thing i absolutely hate, it's fogged up glass/plastic in my face.

thanks for the opinions.

My .02 cents I have both goggles and heated visor helmet. When it's butt cold the below zero crap heated visor all the way. For most of the time the goggles are a better fog free solution. I use zook wax to help prevent fogging but it needs to be reapplied daily it seems.

Slapshot

klim.jpg
Sorry to double post, but I have to get a helmet soon and need to know if I should order the cold weather breath box.

I ordered an AFX FX-17 helmet, 509 sinister night vision goggles, and a klim balaclava.

thanks all, xc500mod
You should be good to go

lmuch21

I bought the AFX FX-17 a few years ago for 4-wheeling and after having so many issues with the full face helmets, started using the AFX for snowmobiling last year. For this year i bought the 509 goggles, a NO-Fog mask, and the Klim covert balaclava. I wore the balaclava for all of 10 miles the first time out and took it off cause i was too hot. I havent worn it since but did have an issue with my neck getting cold, so i bought a neck garter from fleet farm for less than 20 bucks and that coupled with the no-fog, goggles, and helmet have kept me warm and fog free so far. For what its worth, I have been out on 10 different days and about 1000 miles so far this year but not on any really cold days.