600HO wont run

scheia50

I tried taking my 03 600HO rev out for the first ride last night and had some issues. Sled was "summerized" by a dealer last spring and I put 9 gallons of fresh gas in it last night before we tried to ride. We recently put in a new track and sled ran fine the few times in my garage and putting on trailer before we put the track on. After we put the track on it didnt want to start right away but eventually did and ran a little rough. I changed the plugs thinking we fouled one and thought it would be OK to take out on a ride.

It started just fine getting off the trailer but as soon as we crossed the road to the trail and I slowed down it died. It restarted, I went the length of a field, and when I slowed down it died again. It restarted again rode back the other way down the field it and stopped to let it idle for a minute then it died and would not restart. Changed the plugs still no start. Could we have done anything when switching tracks that is making the engine not run, any ideas???

scheia50

The engine seemed to run ok when it got going but when when I slowed down it seemed like I had excessive engine brake like it really bogged down when I got off the throttle. The part I dont get is why it wouldn't start back up if it is not the engine. We tightened the chain and track to factory spec. Checked the chain case oil, it was good.

indy_500

The engine seemed to run ok when it got going but when when I slowed down it seemed like I had excessive engine brake like it really bogged down when I got off the throttle. The part I dont get is why it wouldn't start back up if it is not the engine. We tightened the chain and track to factory spec. Checked the chain case oil, it was good.

belt too tight? if the belt is too tight, it won't let the sled idle.

toolie

belt too tight? if the belt is too tight, it won't let the sled idle.

How would the belt get too tight from putting a new track on? And if it was to tight would the sled want to jerk forward? I would check to see if you got spark first and if so you may have a clogged fuel filter or junk in the carbs. You would think even if the whole drive train is seized up it should still idle.

indy_500

How would the belt get too tight from putting a new track on? And if it was to tight would the sled want to jerk forward? I would check to see if you got spark first and if so you may have a clogged fuel filter or junk in the carbs. You would think even if the whole drive train is seized up it should still idle.

could've put a new belt on and it could be the wrong one

scheia50

So tonight we took the carbs off to find out if there was something in there causing my problems. Everything was clean. We then took the exhaust off to find quite a bit fuel in the exhaust. We drained the pipe and put everything back together. It started only when the the throttle was held wide open and then we let idle for a good 5-10 minutes. I rode it up and down the street, then brought back in the driveway and let it idle for about 3 minutes until it died. We couldn't get it back started again.

Same belt, its on right. Track tension is good. We also checked the spark and have it in both cylinders. We are thinking exhaust vales need adjustment???

acatzl550

from that last post it sounds like there is way too much fuel going into the engine and it is in the pipe. could it be that the sled is getting flooded? you did say that you have to hold the throttle wide open to get it started and thats usually what you have to do when a sled is flooded

indy_500

So tonight we took the carbs off to find out if there was something in there causing my problems. Everything was clean. We then took the exhaust off to find quite a bit fuel in the exhaust. We drained the pipe and put everything back together. It started only when the the throttle was held wide open and then we let idle for a good 5-10 minutes. I rode it up and down the street, then brought back in the driveway and let it idle for about 3 minutes until it died. We couldn't get it back started again.

Same belt, its on right. Track tension is good. We also checked the spark and have it in both cylinders. We are thinking exhaust vales need adjustment???

you sure it was fuel or oil in the pipe?

scheia50

We could definitely smell fuel when we tried to restart throttle open or closed and with every pull came plenty of smoke out of the exhaust. There did seem to be some oil in the exhaust also now that you mention it, but hard to tell. We figured it was flooded also but why would it not restart after running?

fredster

I know you said the carbs are clean, but - did you remove/check/clean the float needles? It sure sounds like a float is sticking open and flooding the engine.

snowbuff

Scheia - I'm also from West Bend and would be willing to take a look at it for you. Just get it to my shop so I can get it on the stand and check it out. Give me a call if you like. 262-689-3515.

Brian