'86 400 Restoration Project

xsledder

Who does snowmobile restoration? I have an '86 Indy 400 with 100% of the parts; however, the speedo or tech (the exact one can be determined later) needs to be replaced and so does both trail arms (or welded because of some bottom rust). I would like this sled to look like showroom new as much as possible. I might ride it when it is finished, then again I might not ride it when it is finished. Who is really good and reasonable at this? Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

G

G

I am in the process of re-doing an '03 ZR 900 Sno Pro from the track on up. By the time I am all done it will look showroom but I will have between 3 - 4 thou into it. And I am doing most of the work myself. gh.

xsledder

I am in the process of re-doing an '03 ZR 900 Sno Pro from the track on up. By the time I am all done it will look showroom but I will have between 3 - 4 thou into it. And I am doing most of the work myself. gh.
Got pics you can post of it so far?

G

G

I don't. I am still in the process of taking it apart. It came from Massachusetts. It doesn't appear to have what one would call 'regular maintenence'. I am having a heck of a time getting the front A arms off. The silly engineers used steel bolts and aluminum spacers and everything is corroded together. Also the driven clutch is stuck tight but I have seen this before and have a few tricks up my sleeve. I will be taking it down to nothing and painting everything and shining up all the rest. It will have new slide rails, new track, many new bearings and a few other odds and ends. I want it to look original. I am going to have the hood painted and put on all new stickers. It is not that bad but there are a few garfs here and there and I want it right. A tip for you xsledder - if you are going to restore your sled back to original make sure all the hood stickers are still available to buy before you grind off the old ones. There is a safety one on the ZR that is no longer available so we will have to work around that.

xsledder

..make sure all the hood stickers are still available to buy before you grind off the old ones...
With a '86 there are no new stickers to be found. At least the originals on the machine are in very good shape that hopefully I can have replcs' made of them. If I remember correctly, the originals are not reflective; which will make it easier.

G

G

I bought an '05 400 new. I think that was the first year for the 400's. The biggest difference between the '05s and the '06s was that the 'o6 came with the tapered tunnel. Otherwise they were about the same thing except for stickers. If I remember right the stickers on the '05 were not reflective. According to the speedo on the '05 I had mine up to 95 on an ice road one day which was good for a 400 back then. Of course at that time there was no GPS but it felt that fast. A triple 6 that was riding with me that day couldn't go much faster.

xsledder

Yes, '85 was the first year; however, I heard there was a prototype released for '84. Yep, my tunnel is tapered. Also, I've seen 95 on the speedo on an icy road. The '87 had the best graphics in my opinion however it was slower than the '86. My dad and I would line them up, an '86 against an '87, and I always had top end by a few. My uncle had an '88 and I could out run him all the time. Never went against an '85. I heard they retarded the timing a bit in '87 because the '86 where blowing up motors. I never had problems with mine. Not sure if the timing on the '85's was the same as the '86. That was the machine to have in those days. You could easily kick the backend out and drift the corners taking them faster then today's sleds. That's why I keep it around to reminded me of my earlier years.

Last edited:

schnook

I just picked up an 86 400 for 100.00 in running condition. Replaced chain case and cleaned carbs, has been sitting for 3 years, pulled it over about 15 times and fired right up. Everything is in pretty decent shape, will need new seat cover and shocks all the way around. going to polish it up good and ride it, nice and light, will be a blast ditch bangin and running the twisteys. nov 21 012.jpg