9/11/01 Where were you?

pclark

God Bless all those and their families that endured 9/11/01. I was in Denver, CO that day on business, I remeber my wife called me and asked if I was near a TV. It was breakfast time and I watched the 2nd plane hit the towers, It was a Tuesday I believe and after a few appointments it was clear that no ones mind was on work but what had just occured to our Nation that morning. After trying to book a flight back without success I had a rental car and asked if I could drive it back to Wisconsin and they said bring it back to the airport and we'll give you a car that we want to send back that way. I drove back and it was one of the most eery drives that I have ever experienced, not many people on the highways, people stranded all over the country due to grounded flights. It was good to get home and see my family.

rph130

I had just gone to bed after working midnight shift. The wife got the kids up and off to school. I heard phone start ringing around 9am. Machine picked it up. Ringing again and again and again. Machine kept getting it. Now I was up and figured somebody really needed to wake me. Answered it on the next ring and it was my partner from work. He said turn tv on and put coffee on. America was just attacked and Im on my way to your house. I put tv on and see the towers coming down. The mailman comes running down the street and asks me if the tv is on. Nobody in my neighborhood got mail that day except for me because we sat there all day watching the television. Very eerie that day because I live near O'Hare airport and once they got all of the planes on the ground the silence was spooky. Midnight shift of the 11th was another first. Everyone was incredibly wired and any traffic stops or alarms or anything that happened saw the entire department respond as a backup. I hate to go political to close this but even the liberal democrats wanted and loved us after that.......for a while.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I had worked the previous weekend so I had that day off. Sitting at my desk, TV on in the background with the morning news. Katie Couric says, "a small plane has just hit the Twin Towers". Hmmm, really? How could the pilot not see a giant building like that? Then the second plane hit and that's when they had my full attention. Glued to the TV, I never left the house all day. Wife came home from teaching 3rd graders and said, "You should see the lines at the gas stations"! Well I missed that one, everyone was filling up their tanks and I hadn't even considered that. I guess at the time, no one knew who the enemy was and they were filling up for the worst case scenario.

pclark

I had just gone to bed after working midnight shift. The wife got the kids up and off to school. I heard phone start ringing around 9am. Machine picked it up. Ringing again and again and again. Machine kept getting it. Now I was up and figured somebody really needed to wake me. Answered it on the next ring and it was my partner from work. He said turn tv on and put coffee on. America was just attacked and Im on my way to your house. I put tv on and see the towers coming down. The mailman comes running down the street and asks me if the tv is on. Nobody in my neighborhood got mail that day except for me because we sat there all day watching the television. Very eerie that day because I live near O'Hare airport and once they got all of the planes on the ground the silence was spooky. Midnight shift of the 11th was another first. Everyone was incredibly wired and any traffic stops or alarms or anything that happened saw the entire department respond as a backup. I hate to go political to close this but even the liberal democrats wanted and loved us after that.......for a while.
Very quiet 16 hour drive from Denver to Wisconsin that day as well, it seemed like everywhere I went no one was out on the roads. I traveled the next week out to Seattle and I think there were a total of 4 people on my flight. Minneapolis airport had soldiers with AK's, it took awhile before some people got back on a plane again.

saber1

I was in food sales driving from Restaurant to restaurant the streets and sky were empty like from the Movie When the earth stood still very few people in restaurants the few that were had a total shock and disbelief on their faces.Getting calls from everyone some in tears never Forget.

wiscrev

Always watched the Today Show. They just announced that a plane had hit the WTC. As I watched, the second plane hit. I really thought we'd be going to war. [In so many ways, we did!].

eao

I was out in rural eastern UP near Rexton on a state wide NGS (GPS) Survey project. I had gotten to this assigned bench mark along the railroad and set up and collecting data by 6:30 am. I was not listening to the suburban radio or anything as I was outside the vehicle most of the time. Then the cell phone rang later in the AM and the DNR Surveyor informed me what was going on. I had to stay on the survey mark till 5:30 pm and then drive back to Escanaba to the motel to see the totality of the situation going on.

ICT Sledder

In class in college here too. It all started during my drive in to school, and in my first class the teacher had it up on the TV so we all could watch it unfold. Seems like everything from there was cancelled that day. This was long before all forms of higher ed were only staffed and attended by kooks and nincompoops. Folks really grieved and were shocked. Today if it happened Shananay Snuffaluffagus would laugh and and joke about it on twitter while the hordes would walrus clap in appreciation of the hot take.

blkhwkbob

I took the day off work to go watch the Blackhawks practice, (even when they were really bad). My friend called me after the first plane hit, and I sat home and watched the TV all day. I lived in Edison Park most of my life, close to O'Hare. You don't realize it but there is a constant background sound of airplanes all the time. The quiet that night was something I'll never forget. I will also never forget the thought of those poor people trapped on the upper floors and those that jumped to get away from the heat.

mezz

Hard to believe it has been 21 years since this awful turn of events. Despite the time that has passed, I remember it as if it were yesterday. It was in fact a Tuesday morning & as usual was watching the Today show with Matt Lauer & Katie Couric with a cup of coffee in my hand getting ready to head down to my office when they interuped their regular broadcast with the announcement that a small commuter plane had struck one of the twin towers at the World Trade Center. I like many others thought, how could a small commuter plane hit that huge building? Perhaps pilot had a health issue? I then hurried to the office & was watching the rest of this unfold and watched in shock as a jet airliner deliberately turned into & plowed into the second tower withing 10 minutes or so of the first hit. I looked at my mother & said "this is a deliberate act, this is no accident", as things unfolded before our eyes you could see the first tower swaying, I knew it was going to collapse, sure enough. Truley a sad & shocking thing to witness & will never be forgotten.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think every generation has a day to remember such as Pearl Harbor, JFK's Assassination, the Challenger Explosion and 9-11. All dark days in American History that you remember where you were and what you were doing. If they only taught History in school maybe we wouldn't repeat the same mistakes again. So it goes...

pclark

I think every generation has a day to remember such as Pearl Harbor, JFK's Assassination, the Challenger Explosion and 9-11. All dark days in American History that you remember where you were and what you were doing. If they only taught History in school maybe we wouldn't repeat the same mistakes again. So it goes...
What are they teaching in schools these days?

G

G

I was at work for 9/11. Not much work got done that day. I do remember everybody came together for awhile after that. Democrats and Republicans all on the same side. And that was kind of nice. In the last 21 years the country has been gradually split right down the middle. Now the lines are drawn and there is no bi-partisman things happening anymore. Just bitter fighting and power struggles. How did things get so screwed up in 21 years???

rph130

What are they teaching in schools these days?
Gender issues, inclusion, pronouns, critical race theory, and a lot of other crap that teaches you nothing more than to be dependent on the government and think how they want you to. Glad my kids are grown and I don't have to fight some liberal school curriculum.