900 ace motor issue?

billjd

I have a 2017 900 ace. Went to change the oil and decided to use the suction pump through the dipstick. The end of the suction hose had a small plastic filter on the end of the hose. During removal the plastic end came off and now sits in the bottom end of my motor. Tried everything but cannot get it out or see it for that matter. Now I need to decide if I am going to just run it or take it in....have the engine pulled apart. The piece is 1/2 the size of a dime. Anyone have an educated opinion? Please share...Thanks Bill

uncletom

Try adapting the suction hose or maybe soft copper tubing, to your shop vac. The part should be right below the filler neck. With lots of patience it might be possible to suck it up to the hose and lift it out.

snoluver1

I would try filling the case with oil and then drain through the drain plug. Might get lucky and flush it out?

dothedoo

Try adapting the suction hose or maybe soft copper tubing, to your shop vac. The part should be right below the filler neck. With lots of patience it might be possible to suck it up to the hose and lift it out.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Drain the oil first, of course.

Even if you ruin your shop vac, it would be money well spent.

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
There's two drains on this motor and both are pretty small. Not sure flushing would work if the piece is larger than the hole. Also, from experience if you're using a vac to remove the oil you probably still have some oil in the bottom of the engine because of the Dry Sump design. I would open both drains to see if anything comes out. There's an oval cover over the two plugs, loosen one screw and it swings out of the way.

With any luck the piece is probably at the bottom or nearby the bottom of the Dipstick tube. The shopvac idea mentioned above is worth a try with a tube attached to the vac. Also, one of those grabber things whatever they're called, as pictured.

One other thought that I just had; consider tipping the machine at an angle so that whatever is in the bottom of the engine travels/floats to the left side of the engine where the tube is located. That might localize the piece of plastic.

pick up tool.jpg Take your time and be patient, you might just snag that little guy.

Last edited:

old abe

There's two drains on this motor and both are pretty small. Not sure flushing would work if the piece is larger than the hole. Also, from experience if you're using a vac to remove the oil you probably still have some oil in the bottom of the engine because of the Dry Sump design. I would open both drains to see if anything comes out. There's an oval cover over the two plugs, loosen one screw and it swings out of the way.

With any luck the piece is probably at the bottom or nearby the bottom of the Dipstick tube. The shopvac idea mentioned above is worth a try with a tube attached to the vac. Also, one of those grabber things whatever they're called, as pictured.

One other thought that I just had; consider tipping the machine at an angle so that whatever is in the bottom of the engine travels/floats to the left side of the engine where the tube is located. That might localize the piece of plastic.

View attachment 58675 Take your time and be patient, you might just snag that little guy.

All good suggestions to try, and good luck to you. You may post this question on DooTalk, those guys may have a way to get it out???

billjd

Tried everything except tipping it on its side. Also going to call my dealer tomorrow. I hate to just run it....could be an expensive experiment. I will post results.

renegade

Never seen one of these motors, so I'm curios if the dip stick tube can be removed? Would this be helpful? Could you posssibly fish it out this way?

old abe

Never seen one of these motors, so I'm curios if the dip stick tube can be removed? Would this be helpful? Could you posssibly fish it out this way?

This is a real good idea. Remove the secondary clutch, and I think you can remove the dip stick tube. I am not sure how it comes out though??? Parts break down should provide some info.

billjd

I removed the dipstick. Easy...one screw.. all to no avail. Talked to a few other mechanics that said....it's fine..no issue...based on the fact it's plastic it won't hurt a thing. That maybe but it will always haunt me......waiting for something to go wrong...I have 8 hrs into it at this point....

Thanks for all the input.

snoluver1

Talked to a few other mechanics that said....it's fine..no issue...based on the fact it's plastic it won't hurt a thing.

It might or might not hurt anything. My concern would be it getting lodged in an oil passage somewhere in the motor, causing starvation to something crucial.

nc666

Could always run it for 10 minutes then take off filter cut it in half might find it in there.

Same thing happened to me went for a ride came back and changed oil & filter , that was 2 years ago , no problems at all in over 8000 miles.

old abe

I removed the dipstick. Easy...one screw.. all to no avail. Talked to a few other mechanics that said....it's fine..no issue...based on the fact it's plastic it won't hurt a thing. That maybe but it will always haunt me......waiting for something to go wrong...I have 8 hrs into it at this point....

Thanks for all the input.

What's the size of this "plastic part" you lost in the oil sump??? I wouldn't think it could get past the screen on the oil pickup??? I don't see how it could ever get out of the oil sump. Timing chain and sprockets perhaps a problem area????????? I sure would try DooTalk, as someone there may know the internals of the lower end on this engine, and if this is a problem, or not.

T

Tracker

Same thing happened to me went for a ride came back and changed oil & filter , that was 2 years ago , no problems at all in over 8000 miles.

excellent advice...and BILLJD....heres another way...find your specific motor cutaway pic like I posted....then study it good....fill with oil and depending on cutaway if dipstick side is good and will flow out that way then you leave it all bottled up and tip on side for dipstick removal....then undo that dipstick with one screw thingy....and swivel out plate if necessary....but I would RINSE that sucker out.....if it doesn't flow out the 1st time you do this then I would leave it on side and pour and rinse in 5 gallons of oil until it floated out with the oil....good luck

2014-Ski-Doo-Expedition-Sport-ACE-900-Engine-Cutaway.jpg

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
bs-detector-large.jpg

The cutaway you posted is the wrong side of the engine. The engine holds less than 4 quarts of oil and you're going to flush it with 5 gallons! The engine uses fully synthetic oil, are you going to flush with that or something else that's just lying around?

Jeez, you know what they say. "If you read it on the Internet it must be true."

T

Tracker

The cutaway you posted is the wrong side of the engine. The engine holds less than 4 quarts of oil and you're going to flush it with 5 gallons! The engine uses fully synthetic oil, are you going to flush with that or something else that's just lying around?

Jeez, you know what they say. "If you read it on the Internet it must be true."

well if you ever put a tiny fraction of brain to this...you would of read the part where I said get your specific engine cutaway for one einsteinium...mine was an example so he knows what to look for incase he is brain dead like you then he would know what a cutaway looks like.....and then I would flush it with gallons of 10-40 or some other cheap oil....the gallons will cause the piece to flow out of there...since the amount in there now did nothing...wasn't enough to rinse it out....why do I have to spell everything out all the time....think man...think for once on yer own...stare at if you have to ....reread it 5 times like in romper room when you did that.....oy vey....I think BILLJD understands what I wa saying...you...not so much there...carry on with whats left in the cavity dude...go reread my first sentence there einsteniumski