A-hole thief in the u.p.

xpr800

Maybe this is the wrong category to post this but it needs to be seen, Some one has stolen the groomer donation box from the Tahquamenon General Store, (This is the gas station/store between the Falls & Paradise). Who in their right mind would do such a thing & why to a place of business that supports this sport. Whoever did this gives a bad name to all snowmobilers & I hope Karma strikes them down. Also the new restaurant in Grand Marais (Grand Marais Tavern) had some artwork stolen off the wall this week, probably the same sticky fingered dirt bag. Pretty sad that someone would do this. I am sure any info or just the return of this stuff would be greatly appreciated by these business owners. If anyone knows any thing, do the right thing about it. Thanks to all of you that support snowmobiling in the right way.

Last edited:

POLARISDAN

Maybe this is the wrong category to post this but it needs to be seen, Some one has stolen the groomer donation box from the Tahquamenon General Store, (This is the gas station/store between the Falls & Paradise). Who in their right mind would do such a thing & why to a place of business that supports this sport. Whoever did this gives a bad name to all snowmobilers & I hope Karma strikes them down. Also the new restaurant in Grand Marais (Grand Marais Tavern) had some artwork stolen off the wall this week, probably the same sticky fingered dirt bag. Pretty sad that someone would do this. I am sure any info or just the return of this stuff would be greatly appreciated by these business owners. If anyone knows any thing, do the right thing about it. Thanks to all of you that support snowmobiling in the right way.

yea..don(mosquito) had a superior box stolen a few years ago and when i try and find it..he told me he didnt want to replace it..its about the lowest form of human dogs*** that can be found..sometimes i hate everything about certain types of lowlifes...grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ohio Cat

Sorry to hear about both thefts. My initial reaction was to think the box was stolen by a meth head looking to get high. Sadly the drug problem in the UP is just as bad as it is anywhere else in this country. The artwork on the other hand... There was probably some alcholol involved. I'm sure as a bar owner that stuff happens quite often unless it's securely screwed to the wall.

Either way it sucks for the clubs and bar owners but most people who can afford to ride a snowmobile aren't risking jail time over $300 in a groomer box?

ridindirty800

Sorry to hear about both thefts. My initial reaction was to think the box was stolen by a meth head looking to get high. Sadly the drug problem in the UP is just as bad as it is anywhere else in this country. The artwork on the other hand... There was probably some alcholol involved. I'm sure as a bar owner that stuff happens quite often unless it's securely screwed to the wall.

Either way it sucks for the clubs and bar owners but most people who can afford to ride a snowmobile aren't risking jail time over $300 in a groomer box?

Yeah I have not noticed the drug problem as well in Northern WI and the U.P. But like you said its bad all over, here is S.E Wi we have kids dying of Heroin what seems every few weeks in Highschool. But when I read figured it was a junkie who needed some money to get high.

wrestleruiu

I know our groups will spend more time in a place where the bartender or wait staff does not look like drug users. Seems like that is getting harder to find up there.

Sledhead!

Well that is a new low. I can't think that whoever stole that donation box was a snowmobiler. I just can't fathom one of us doing that, it's like biting the hand that feeds you. ***?

I like the drug story idea, that makes sense and pretty sure those people have no shame. Knowing that these boxes are a target, I guess they now need to be placed behind the bar or serving area to at least make it somewhat difficult to snatch.

Lisbon

Wow - I have noticed that too in the UP when riding. So many female bartenders with messed up teeth - really bad. So obvious that they are meth-heads. Unreal.

beerchug

huh, I thought someone was stealing ice fishing holes. A- hole thief but yeah just some dirt bag and life goes on.

blkhwkbob

People have been stealing charity donation boxes in the Chicago area for years. Most of them are now attached to the counters now. Some people just need to be removed from this planet.

junior

Lisbon- why would you make a generalization like that? Obvious that they are meth heads because they have bad teeth? Wow. If the only job they have is working at a bar, maybe they simply can't afford a dentist. Or something simple like that. I hate people who jump to foolish conclusions

Ohio Cat

Lisbon- why would you make a generalization like that? Obvious that they are meth heads because they have bad teeth? Wow. If the only job they have is working at a bar, maybe they simply can't afford a dentist. Or something simple like that. I hate people who jump to foolish conclusions

Sadly meth users are easy to spot by what is specifically bad about their teeth: top two front teeth are stained black(usually at the space between the top teeth) from smoking the pipe. There are numerous other signs of addiction as well. See below. Hopefully, it helps or saves someone.

http://americanaddictioncenters.org/meth-treatment/signs-symptoms/

Last edited:

xpr800

This is not Chicago or Detroit, its the U.P....... Where people go to get away from the big city crime. Sherry from Taq. Gen. Store figures that it was a snowmobiler that took the box since that's the only customers she has this time of year. As far as the bar art theft, could have been a non snowmobiler but Grand Marais is also 95% funded by snowmobilers this time of year. Besides these are both small town community's & everybody knows everybody that's a local & the business owners know who the scumbags are & are probably banned from these establishments. Also I am not defending anyone but you guys should not judge people by their appearance.

1fujifilm

This is not Chicago or Detroit, its the U.P....... Where people go to get away from the big city crime. Sherry from Taq. Gen. Store figures that it was a snowmobiler that took the box since that's the only customers she has this time of year. As far as the bar art theft, could have been a non snowmobiler but Grand Marais is also 95% funded by snowmobilers this time of year. Besides these are both small town community's & everybody knows everybody that's a local & the business owners know who the scumbags are & are probably banned from these establishments. Also I am not defending anyone but you guys should not judge people by their appearance.

Where do you think the sledders from "Chicago" or "Detroit" go to sled?

Bear

xpr800

All I am saying is some of you jumped to conclusions that dope addicts stole this stuff, maybe so & I personally would hope that a rider would not do that but there are all types & the Chicago/Detroit reference was a generalization of crime ridden dope filled cities & yes its everywhere but my original post was just to send out the word & maybe someone would come forward with some info to rectify this unfortunate situation.

blkhwkbob

There are scumbags everywhere. The lesson is if you have a box full of money sitting around these days, secure it.

mustardbkt

Personally, I would have a box mounted to the wall, with a padlock on it, with a big sign saying "Thank you for the trails, groomers and clubs!! Donations are gladly accepted."