A New Book of Old Sleds

skiroule

Sent the link along to my wife as a subtle Christmas hint. Can't say for sure but I think she ordered it. Guess I won't know until Christmas.

skiroule

Well Gary, my wife did get me this book for Christmas and I have to say it makes for fascinating reading, at least for me. It provides a lot of detail on many makes and models of the day, including a lot of spec. data. In addition, it provides historical information about the companies behind the manufacture and marketing of different brands including those that survived, the rise and fall of others, and some that never really got off the ground.

The cover contains the description: “Memorable Machines and Highlights from Snowmobiling’s Golden Age.” In terms of sales and sport participation, the Golden Age is certainly an arguable claim. Out of curiosity, I looked up a separate Snow Goer article containing some snowmobile production numbers for part of the period covered by the book. According to Snow Goer, which based its numbers on company data and reports, a total of 1, 692, 600 snowmobiles were produced for model years 70, 71, and 72. That’s impressive, almost 1.7 million snowmobiles rolling off the line in just three years. No wonder it seemed like everyone had one (or more).

gary_in_neenah

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's Great! Sounds like a perfect fit for someone of your interests and skill set.

I've kind of lost track, out of 1.7 million you have what, 3 or 4 of them? (and still counting)

Merry Christmas, Kelly!

P.S. Looking at John's Forecast this morning, looks like you'll be at Ground Zero for the next storm.

Last edited:

skiroule

I've kind of lost track, out of 1.7 million you have what, 3 or 4 of them? (and still counting)

It depends on how you count them. There’s “ride-able”, “running”, “not running”, and “in pieces”. If I count all categories, I figure it’s an even dozen - tops (although I have one more to be delivered from MI sometime next summer).

I am encouraged that there are so many people out there that are preserving, restoring, and even racing these gems and hopefully the vintage sled community will continue to grow. After all, every sled built will eventually become vintage.

P.S. Looking at John's Forecast this morning, looks like you'll be at Ground Zero for the next storm.

Yes, I just saw the forecast this morning. We have a pretty good base so it could make for some excellent riding if it happens.

Merry Christmas, Kelly!

Thanks Gary and Merry Christmas to you as well!

wirev

The vintage sled racing as grown at Eagle river. I think last year there were over 800 entries.