Access to trail 5 from Crystal Falls

beachblob

Where trail 16 is closed east of Crystal Falls due to landowner permission issue, is it possible to run the roads to get around the closure? Looks like there might be a half mile or so of highway to run to the north, then go east on a county road over to trail 16. Just trying to hear from someone that has experience with dealing with that closure.

would love to hear a solution also.....!!!!
Yes, if you go north from the closure, along hwy 95, there is a gas station . Thats all I know.

mikes99ss

Definitely not a great solution but it is doable. Option #1 red line.....
Ditchline southbound about a half a mile and follow the red line. You will end up on the wells grade road and will eventually merge with the trail again, you'll have to go a mile or so down.

Option #2.... Green line
Just Ditchline the highway to the wells grade road then head east until you merge with the trail again.

Blue line is the snowmobile trail but it doesn't show the closure. Purple xxx is the closed spot. Screenshot_20231220-190701~6.png

Last edited:
Where trail 16 is closed east of Crystal Falls due to landowner permission issue, is it possible to run the roads to get around the closure? Looks like there might be a half mile or so of highway to run to the north, then go east on a county road over to trail 16. Just trying to hear from someone that has experience with dealing with that closure.
I believe the road is Leeman Rd (Rt2) ..... It is about 1/2 mi north on 95, at the BP station.
Just not sure if its possible to ditch bang the 7 mi or so to trail 5.,,,,
I put an inquiry to the Chippewa SnoKats club in Crystal Falls,..... hopefully we get a reply.

mikes99ss

Don't go down the Lehman road, it's a pretty well plowed and pretty well used road. That's a long ways to grind pavement. My options are definitely better. Not great, but much better

mikes99ss

Yup, there will be a street sign. If you are coming from Crystal Falls take a right. Go down the Ditchline it will be the first road to your left. less than a mile

mikes99ss

So you will be coming down the wells grade road as it is (Green). Just keep going until you hit the highway...(Red) then either Ditchline north or just go directly across the highway and follow it back around to the highway again. Take Sunset lane to your left and you will be on the trail again. (Sunset LN is the trail.) Screenshot_20231220-200728~3.png

beachblob

Definitely not a great solution but it is doable. Option #1 red line.....
Ditchline southbound about a half a mile and follow the red line. You will end up on the wells grade road and will eventually merge with the trail again, you'll have to go a mile or so down.

Option #2.... Green line
Just Ditchline the highway to the wells grade road then head east until you merge with the trail again.

Blue line is the snowmobile trail but it doesn't show the closure. Purple xxx is the closed spot. View attachment 69300
Thanks to all for the info. I'll likely give it a try in mid February. I there is ample snow.