Adding a second trip out west, were to stay? Going to try the Kmart of the West! lol

JasonF

We are already going to be at TML for 5 days in Feb but due to the lack of snow here in Mi we are thinking about making a poor mans trip to the Snowies in Jan. I've read lots of topics and really don't have a a good idea of where we should be staying to be closest to the good snow with the least amount of wind? This will be just a few guys going out to ride, don't need any real luxuries, we can bring food and gas if necessary.

RevKev

Another Vote for Ten Mile Inn, the Drive to get there is a bit longer, than if you were to stay on the East side, but as mentioned, the Wind seems less brutal, and the snow is deeper. The lodge is about a 2 mile trail ride, and your in the good stuff, gas and restaurant across the street, or bring your own food, and cook in the Main lodge as Jmom said. K-Mart of riding, PR1 cracks me up, I guess that is why the snowies always ranks in the top 5 places to ride in the West according to Snowest.

snoluver1

The Snowies is a boondocker's wet dream! There is so much forested land to explore its ridiculous. If you want wide open terrain or just want to climb chutes all day, I can see where it might not be the best choice. As far as where to stay the west side is definitely better if you don't mind the extra time in the truck. If you really want to do a poor mans trip there is an old ranger station on the east side you can stay in for like 20 bucks a night. Have to bring in all your own stuff and pump water from a well though.

JasonF

Awsome info guys, looks like 10 mile is the place to be! About how much further is the drive to 10 mile compared to the haunts on the east side?

blutooth

I think it is an extra 2.5-3 hours. When we head there, we stay at Mountain Meadow Cabins up on the hill on the east side. Pack in food and gas (and head down one day to refuel 5 gallon jugs), and be a 5 minute ride from great riding and 30 minutes to the west side Quealy hut.

Not much for night life but we are usually so tired it doesnt matter anyway...

I'll be heading to Tog for my first time in Feb. I need to see what it is like to consider the Snowies the Kmart of the west...

snoluver1

For anybody wondering the difference between the Snowies and Tog, I think these 2 pictures summarize fairly well what you will find in either area. As far as the overall terrain anyway.

Snowies :

P1150942.jpg

Alpine (same area as Tog)

100_2382.jpg

polarisrider1

I will hold steady on the Kmart of snowmobiling comment. (I still think it is more like the Dollar General of riding on the east side). I found that a good deal is to find 10 guys and rent the big House at Lava Mtn. for a week. You get to ride where the "Big Boys" ride (Tog. area) Last time there it came to $25.71 a night per person. You get your own Bed. sometimes your own room. $1800 divided by 10 guys divided by 7 nights. or $180 for the week per person. Haul in your food and beer. They have a huge kitchen in the Big House. Gas is on the premises. Ride from the lodge out. Now you are cooking! Also check out Bear Claw Bob's in Cooke City, I bet he will hook you up. I like to ride with Jacob since he hooks me up every time.

snoluver1

Wayne, I believe it was you who also coined the phrase, "you didn't go far enough west". That philosophy can be applied on a much smaller scale while in the Snowies. LOL:D

Last edited:

polarisrider1

Lava Mtn. is the east side of Togwotee, So lets call that the "Bed, Bath and Beyond" of snowmobiling! They offer all 3, and I like it there. lol. I got a whooping 1/2 inch of snow at home, looks like I better run the scratchers down.

JasonF

We have our reservations for Ten Mile set for 10 days from now, the only thing is that it looks like there hasn't been any fresh snow in quite some time, sitting around 30" on the ground. Is it worth it to stick with the reservation or should we be looking to ride elsewhere? We are going to TML in Feb so I was looking to ride a bit closer if anyone has suggestion?

polarisrider1

We have our reservations for Ten Mile set for 10 days from now, the only thing is that it looks like there hasn't been any fresh snow in quite some time, sitting around 30" on the ground. Is it worth it to stick with the reservation or should we be looking to ride elsewhere? We are going to TML in Feb so I was looking to ride a bit closer if anyone has suggestion?
Things happen out there over night and you got 10 days and winter is just beginning, keep your reservations, after all it is the snowies. You may have 3-6ft. of fresh by then. Odds are in you favor. (Bring chap stick for wind burn).

yamadude

Been out to Albany and Centennial several times over the last 5 years. The Snowys is a awesome place to have some serious fun! I'm just outside Chicago and it's 1000 miles each way to Centennial. We've stayed at the Old Corral and brought all our own food and tailgated in the parking lot= Super cheap trip! The only drawback is having to load up every day to drive up to Greenrock, but it's no big deal. Four guys in a truck splitting all expenses (gas,food,hotel)= 450-500 bucks for 3.5 days of riding. Thats a pretty cheap trip in my book.

sledhead1125

Well I just got home from the Blowies today and windy it was. We took the girls out to do some trail riding seeing as the yoop was thin last week. All I can say is that there isn't a whole lot of snow on the east side of the hill. Bare road almost all the way to Lake Marie. Between the 45 mph winds with up to 75 mph gusts on Saturday and the even stronger winds last wednesday it blew a ton of snow away. We spent saturday in the cabin at Mountain Meadow cabins seeing as the winds were so bad. Thats the bad news. on the other had with the strong winds on Saturday it did snow all day long and they picked up some good snow (hard to determine how much because of the winds). Once you venture to the backside of the peaks and anywhere else where the winds don't have as big of an effect the snow was pretty good. There still are some land mines however but I had a fun time.
SAM_0852.jpg SAM_0853.jpg SAM_0861.jpg SAM_0865.jpg SAM_0869.jpg

Last edited: