Adding second axle to trailer

600xc

I have a 2004 Haulmark Lite enclosed trailer. It currently has a single axle. I was thinking of adding a second axle so I contacted Haulmark to see if they had a kit for this. Their response was that the trailer was designed for a single axle and that is all they recommend. I have had flat tires and thought adding a second axle may help or at least give time to pull off highway when traveling. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

2buckchuck

Are you carrying more than the trailer is rated for? if so, maybe you just need a different trailer.

If you are blowing a lot of wheels you may have too much weight in there. Adding a second axle may only make some other part of the trailer weak (like say the frame?)

dab102999

How long is your trailer, you may be to short to add a second axel also. To much axel and too short a trailer will cause "binding" and stress your frame. Not to meansion be pretty hard on the side walls when you turn sharp. Definatly would try a heavier ply if you haven't already. Also what size tire are you running??

600xc

It is a 2 place trailer and I usually haul a 700 switchback and a FST switchback. I am careful to not carry extra gear in the trailer as I know this can easily put you over the limit. The only problems I have had was traveling out west and was caused by too high of speed. (Learned that the hard way). All good responses, thanks very much. Was just curious to see if maybe a second axle would help. I see most trailers have 2 and I have driver out west with a similar trailer with 2 axles and did not have any issues.
Thanks again

greyx

We have a 2004 Haulmark Sport Lite,dual axle and it came with and needs 10 ply( E rated ) tires. Never had a problem.

groomerdave

Tire Pressure is key. Check it with a gauge before you start and every couple hundred miles. Get at least 8 ply tires but try to get 10. My 10 plys will look solid with 15 psi in them even though they are supposed to run @ 50 psi.
Think Snow! -Dave

600xc

Thanks gdave, I will look for 10 ply E rated tires. Currently it has 4 ply, I never had a flat with them but what I was getting was tread seperation at high speeds for long distances. I usually have proper tire pressure. Just need to realize that those small tires can't travel over 70 mph! Hard to hold back when you are excited about getting to destination!

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.